Skip to main content
Topic: Grace notes (Read 7855 times) previous topic - next topic

Grace notes

on nwc why do grace notes play at the name time as the big note.  It gets annoying at slow tempos

Re: Grace notes

Reply #1
NWC treats all grace notes as occurring on the beat.  This is (more or less) correct behavior for music before Beethoven, but not for more recent styles.

Sometime long ago I believe I visited the NWC wish list and submitted a request for more control over grace note behavior.  I suspect others have as well.  It would probably be a good idea for you to do this too; I'm told there's strength in numbers.

Reply #2
Hello Simon

You can have grace notes before the beat "big note" if you do this:
This procedure demands for 2 staff lines for each path or instrument/voice.
step 1
On staff 1 write the music as you wish to see it, then select and mute the grace and the "bug note"(press ctrl+E and check muted box on midi tab).-You will SEE it but NOT HEAR it.
step 2
On staff 2 write the music as you wish to hear it (writing 1/32 notes BEFORE the "big note" (taking value from the precedent note); then select and Hide the 1/32 notes and the precedent note (press ctrl+E and select never  on "Show on printed page").-
step 3
Go to PAGE SETUP and check "allow layering"

Step4
Onto staff 1 press F2 and check "Layer with next staff"
Then on staff 2 press F2 and check "Layer with next staff"

There you are, just one line! go to print preview to confirm.
What you see is not what you hear, but you have what you wanted.

This is much easier to do than to describe, at least for me; a Portuguese trying to write in English...

Regards,

Paulo Galvao

Reply #3
PS I can send a file if you want me to.

PG

Reply #4
Paulo, you did an excellent job describing. Can you imagine any of us trying to describe in português? Seria um disastre terrível. ;-)

Reply #5
Thank you Fred.
É bom saber que há mais alguém que fala Português...muito bem !!!
Paulo Galvao

Reply #6
(Actually it is Babelfish that speaks Portuguese quite well...) :-)

Reply #7
You have a Babel fish?!?!?!??!?!

Reply #9
WOW! That's cool!  I've really missed mine ever since the Earth was destroyed (the second time).

Reply #10
but some words cannot be correctly translated....

Reply #11
Babelfish is pretty good, but it doesn’t do Latin.  Anybody know where I can get translations to Palestrina motets and other Latin texts?

Reply #12
There are a couple casual Latin scholars that hang out on the NWC newsgroup, I think they'd probably be happy to help out. You could post your Latin sources there (more appropriately than on the forum) and possibly spawn some interesting discussions. ;-)

Reply #13
There is a piece of Shareware that claims to do this called QuickLatin. I have not tried it, but it was written by a former colleague who I know to be a decent guy. See http://quicklatin.com/

Reply #14
When I had tried to hook up to the NWC newsgroup in the past, I got this automatic download of a gajillion posts at once - crashed my e-mail program.  Now I’m a bit skittish...
QuickLatin...runs on Windows 9x, XP, NT 4.0, and Windows 2000, but requires Service Pack 3 or higher to install (thank you Microsoft.)  I’m running WindowsMe, so I may be outta luck.  It’s a 6.1 MB download - can’t try it out first.  Been searching all day - found a nice translator for Pig Latin, though. ;-)

Reply #16
I downloaded a small program found through the “Romance language page” link, and it’s okay, but not great.  Many words could not be translated, and of course the ones that were translatable were words we already knew...
This site - http://www.freelang.net/site_map.html - does look promising, however, but right now I don’t have time to check it out.  Gotta go pick up the kid from school, finish my laundry, finish my parts for tonight’s rehearsal, practice a bit..........

Reply #17
To return to the topic - pardon the delay but I just now reread Paulo's description of staff layering (reply #2 above).  One point may be confusing and should probably be clarified.

When you're layering 2 staves together, only the upper one needs to have the "Layer with next staff" box checked.  If you have only two staves, checking this box on both staves is harmless.  However, as soon as you add a third staff below them, you'll find that NWC layers all three staves together.  (After all, that's what you've asked for!)

The general rule is that the last staff in a group of staves layered together should not have the "Layer with next staff" box checked.