Skip to main content
Topic: About import note and rest values... (Read 4513 times) previous topic - next topic

About import note and rest values...

Is anyone able to give a reasonably intelligent discussion of the effects of the note and values when importing? Both in midi import, and in recording. Not that I'd understand it of course, but I am rather curious. While in record mode, I'm usually at a loss to guesstimate where to set these values. Sometimes I get a couple of bars that are exactly what I thought I was playing, and other times, it seems I've been to la-la land, and I'm left with something that looks like it was played by my cat. Then the gibberish left in the record buffer looks to be from Mars. Or maybe France. Same thing. Or is it just too simple to see? (Hah!) Waiting with baited breath (yeah, yeah, with a worm on my tongue, I know).

Re: About import note and rest values...

Reply #1
Kent said: <<<Is anyone able to give a reasonably intelligent discussion of the effects of the note and values when importing? Both in midi import, and in recording. Not that I'd understand it of course, but I am rather curious.>>>

Okay. I'll bite. I'm brave enough :-)

<<<While in record mode, I'm usually at a loss to guesstimate where to set these values. Sometimes I get a couple of bars that are exactly what I thought I was playing, and other times, it seems I've been to la-la land, and I'm left with something that looks like it was played by my cat. Then the gibberish left in the record buffer looks to be from Mars. Or maybe France. Same thing.>>>

Hey! We have some nice Fench people who read this forum! (Forgive him, Marsu... :-)

Okay, here goes... Got your bottle of scotch? From what I understand, note resolution is basically the smallest length note that will be used to represent the notes being scanned in (either from the midi buffer after being played, or from a midi file). This will dictate how accurately complex passages are translated, the ultimate simplification being runs of sixteenth notes being swallowed into a quarter note chord!

The rest resolution - I _think_ - dictates the smallest rests to be used, and will have an effect on "staccatoness" of notes. eg if you play a note for three-eights, but only have quarter-note rest resolution, the note will have to resolve to either a full quarter note, or a half-note, because you've disallowed eighth note rests.

SO! The upshot is: if you want your notes to be mainly eighth notes, shoot for eighth note note-resolution (ie, granularity of note-on). If you're a show-off, make it smaller. If you want to track note LENGTHS more accurately, (ie granularity of note-off), then make the rest size smaller.

There! Enjoy your scotch? %-)

Regards,

Andrew

Re: About import note and rest values...

Reply #2
Nicely put. In other words, it only works for a few bars, then it breaks down. But it works. Thanks. I was afraid I understood that. It's just as awkward as I feared.