Skip to main content
Topic: part of staff (Read 3390 times) previous topic - next topic

part of staff

Hi!

I've two questions:

1. I'm wondering how to remove or hide only part of staff (not whole staff), for example in piano/vocal template, when  the vocal staff is shorter, than piano staff.
It interesting me only when you print.

2.If you have a chord member is it posible to hide only one in a group?

Anon

Re: part of staff

Reply #1
You can get the results you're looking for in both cases, but it takes extra work.

The answer to your first question is that you can't hide just part of a staff, but you can get an equivalent result by printing different parts of the score separately and then merging the results.  This can be done by physically cutting and pasting printouts (I've done it and it's not too bad if you're planning to photocopy the result anyway), or by copying from NWC's Print Preview and pasting into some other application, for example MS Word.  I'm not an expert on this process but it's been discussed elsewhere in the Forum and a search should turn up some hints.

The answer to the second question is that on any given staff a chord is either entirely invisible or entirely visible.  However, you can work around this by using a hidden staff (or a hidden chord on a layered staff) for the notes that you don't want to be seen.

Reply #2
I'm sure the ability to start and end new staves anywhere in the score has been requested plenty of times in the wish list, so I won't put it in again (I suspect I've already done it anyway), but I'll bring it up just to remind Noteworthy that it would be a very nice feature.
I also appreciate that it would be a lot of work, and a major rewrite of the file format, so maybe for version 2...?

Robin

Reply #3
I remind everyone that NWC will export Windows Metafiles (WMF) from File > Print preview > Copy > Placeable WMF. This is done on a (printable) page-by-page basis.

You can scale and crop the WMFs within a word processor document. So, you could make more than one WMF of a page, and selectively crop what you don't want from each of them.

Admittedly it would be nice to have native NWC support for this, but the WMF method does a fine job, and allows a lot of position flexibility (as well as the ability to add extra text).