Skip to main content
Topic: NEED SOMEONE TO COPYRIGHT MY SONGS (Read 4540 times) previous topic - next topic

NEED SOMEONE TO COPYRIGHT MY SONGS

MY NAME IS MARLENE AND I WRITE GOSPEL SONGS MYSELF, AND I JUST NEED SOMEONE TO HELP GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION SO I CAN GET MY SONGS COPYRIGHTED AND GET MY MUSIC OUT THERE TO INSPIRE THOSE WHO NEED THE UPLIFTING OF JESUS MY EMAIL IS
shaw_is1@yahoo.com PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Re: NEED SOMEONE TO COPYRIGHT MY SONGS

Reply #2
No need to yell Marlene...caps=yelling
please type normally.

Reply #3
Hi, Marlene. I've written about 50 contemporary Gospel songs and copyrighted them. I copyrighted them, not because I don't want to share them, but because I want to prevent anyone profiting from them unrighteously. I'll send more detailed info to your e-mail address. Would love to share my songs with you and maybe collaborate with lyrics or tunes. Check your e-mail soon, and keep praising the Lord - it's what we were made for. Paul and Margie

Reply #4
Ah! - the self copyrighteous!

Reply #5
Everything you write is copywritten automatically. In fact, you have to specifically state that material is in the public domain to put it there. The best thing to do is put a simple and straight forward notice on everything you distribute.

Copywrite 2002 by John Smith all rights reserved.
Or
Copywrite 2002 by John Smith. This (music, software, essay, etc) may be freely distributed for non commercial use.

If you are really concerned about issues of copywrite, mail yourself a copy and never open it. The post mark will give undisputable proof of the creation date. I’ve done this when I felt I could not trust the other side even with signed NDAs in place.

Note, however, that the lack of a notice does not mean the material is not copywritten. As I said above, all material is copywritten. It is only in the public domain if it is put there. Only use material for commercial use if you have permission from the author, or the copywrite notice specifically states you can use it the way you intend. Registering your material is generally not worth the effort or expense. It doesn’t cost much, but it doesn’t provide much protection either. One final note, if you know someone is using your material, you must ask them to stop and bring legal action against them if they do not. Failure to do this invalidates your copywrite. You can sell them the rights, or license a copy to them, but they must stop infringing.

Reply #6
Two points:

1) The spelling is "copyright", and the participle form of the verb is "copyrighted."

2) While it is indeed true that copyright is automatically assigned to the creator in most countries of the world, that doesn't help you much if someone should challenge it. The onus of proof is on you.

3) The urban myth of the validity of registered mail to yourself seems to live on, in spite of efforts to the contrary. It is not considered prima facie evidence of copyright ownership by the courts; if it should come to that, you'll be very disappointed and perhaps annoyed with whomever gave you that advice.

4) The best way to assure copyright status is to file with the Copyright Office in your country of residence. It should be noted that many composers and other creators outside the US still file with the US Copyright Office, because of its solid reputation. It costs a few bucks, but if you expect that you have a major "hit," it's but a small fraction of what you would stand to lose if you don't follow the proper copyright registration procedure.

Reply #7
Yeah, I know I said "two points." Make that "two squared." :)

Reply #8
Thanks for that solid advice (and spelling correction! =) ), Fred. I haven't done anything worth copyrighting yet, and when I do, it'll be more out of personal satisfaction than legal precaution, but it's nice to see the record set straight.

Just out of curiosity, do you know anything about international copyrights? For example, if I file with the US copyright office and, say, some dirty Canadian (kiddin' =) ) tries to appropriate my work, do I have any recourse?

-m

Reply #9
Well, now we're getting to the edge of my knowledge about legal aspects of copyrighting. The main point is proving that you own the copyright to a piece of work. To that end, registration with the US Copyright Office is pretty strong evidence.

But, assuming that you live in the States, and some dastardly Canuck rips you off, I don't know if you'd have to file suit in an American or Canadian court. This is the point at which you'd consult a copyright lawyer. Hopefully it doesn't have to come to that, and the fact of registration will cause would-be plagiarists to back off and settle out of court. :)

There is more info on copyright than you can shake a stick at, as you'll see if you do a Google search. Probably as good a place as any to start out would be Brad Templeton's Copyright Myths.

Reply #11
If you were to have a copy notarized, though...  Might be construed as proof. Better than nothing. They'd have to pay their notary to doctor up new books to pre-date yours, if they wanted your tune that much.