Skip to main content
Topic: Is there any plan to support MusicXML ? (Read 31405 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there any plan to support MusicXML ?

I have found that MusicXML http://www.musicxml.org is a fast growing project and Finale has already included a plugin to support this format.

Is Noteworthy Software planning to support MusicXML? I have a lot of NWC files, but I really want them to be readable in non-Windows environments by means of exporting to MusicXML.

Thank you!

Re: Is there any plan to support MusicXML ?

Reply #1
you should put them in the MIDI format. I'm sure the translation will work that way.

Reply #2
I must admit, I'd never heard of MusicXML until this post, but I'm intrigued!  XML gets everywhere, these days (and I should know - I earn my living off it!).
I presume there will be applications that convert MIDI to and from MusicXML.  If not, I'll write one, just as soon as I've written the improved MIDI-to-NWC application I started two years ago (in other words, the next time you see a flying pig!)
Anyway, the previous post was valid on two counts:
- MIDI format is a cross-platform standard
- If you can translate MusicXML to/from MIDI, you can read it into NWC.

Meanwhile, I'm off to read all about MusicXML!

Robin

Reply #3
I discovered MusicXML last year when I was working on my Master's thesis in computer generated music.  My personal opinion is that MusicXML should become an industry standard.  The advantage of an XML standard over MIDI for sharing music across programs, etc. is that MIDI interpretation isn't always perfect.  With MusicXML, there isn't any misinterpretation.  I would love to see more software offer MusicXML at least as an option.

Reply #4
We at Makroshaft are happy to announce that our new Internet Exploder version 7.9 will incorporate many, but not all, of the Music XML capabilities. There will also be some priorietary enhancements. A few of the standards will be implemented in a non-standard manner. We plan to distribute the new capability as a free enhancement to our other software.

Reply #5
I can't see the answer the original question of this thread. Is NWC going to support MusicXML?

I am myself a Software developer of Accounting packages and this Data exchange format is very much in the forefront of our developments at the moment.

I have been working with Malcolm Dale a prolific user of Noteworthy. He has thousands of hours worth of Data in Noteworthy. I myslef have over 1000 hours of data input completed. Its a scary thought.
MIDI is not a sufficient format. All notation is lost.

Our work is all in the classical arena and will ahve applciation for many years to come.How can we be sure that we will be able to read Noteworthy files in 20 years time?

I do understand that the NWC community is large, but I would also like my files to be read by users with competitive products. I have looked at all the other packages, and I stay with NWC because none of them can give me the sames speed of entry that I have acheived with NWC.

Am I putting YEARS of my life down a software cul de sac?

I fear that if I can't get an answer to this soon, I will have to give up the program that I have come to love over the last few years. The investment in time is just too much.

Reply #6
Just out of personal curiousity... If I had a file in MusicXML format, would there be any way of displaying the notation (as notation), other than by opening the file in an expensive notation processor?

In other words, is there a free "MusicXML Reader" for Windows, in the sense that there is a free Acrobat Reader for PDF?

Reply #7
... answering my own question: Apparently not.

It seems that only Sharpeye OCR and the more expensive versions of Finale are using MusicXML. If the purpose of demanding MusicXML for NWC is to increase the market for Sharpeye software, then I would suggest that Sharpeye inquire directly of Noteworthy Software (I don't work for them). Wasn't it the case that Sharpeye supported NIFF format, only to drop it when MusicXML came along? Whatever happened to NIFF (for which there IS a free reader)?

And certainly, I can't see much reason why NWC would want to line up with Finale; the markets are too different.

Yes, a universal music format would be nice. But I don't think NWC is significantly reducing its present or future customer base by avoiding MusicXML unless and until it reallly becomes a standard.

It is also my understanding that MusicXML has a proprietary element to it. That is, unlike HTML, use of MusicXML would involve royalty payments. And that makes me think...

Reply #8
... that I should look at the license, which I just did. It looks as if the format (DTD, etc) is free public license, without royalties.

Reply #9
One major benefit of adding MusicXML support to NWC would be to allow the use of scanning software. You can use MIDI, but it's really designed to handle sounds, not score notation.

Recordare has a list of all the software that supports MuscicXML at:

http://www.recordare.com/software.html

Brian Tiplady

Reply #10
Was it really 18 months ago I first started looking at MusicXML, and the possibilities of converting between it and NWC? Well, I haven't got very far, but now I've been reminded, I might get back to it!
Ooh, look at that flying pig! ;-)

RObin

Reply #11
I do hope the folks at Noteworthy are reading this thread.  I am a big fan of Noteworthy, and have been using it alongside more expensive programs for about 5 years now.  I still find it better at some tasks than the competition, but moving files via midi from one program to another (and between mac and pc, of course) is a BIG nightmare.  XML support is sorely needed.  I add my voice to the chorus of those seeking this in the future!

Reply #12
As one visitor noted above, I also would not like to lose the many hours I spent with NWC and the many files I did.

I really need NWC to be able to export to Music XML, if not also import.

Reply #13
It has already occurred to me that version 2's ability to import and export clipboard data as text is going to make translating data a lot easier. It might, theoretically, be possible to translate MusicXML to Noteworthy clipboard format using something like an XSLT stylesheet.
I have plans in the back of my mind, but that pig's still not got off the ground!

RObin

Reply #14
I made a NWC to MusicXML converter.
Currently it does not support compressed NWC.
It does not support MusicXML to NWC.

Is there a way that I can upload the executable for you guys?

Reply #15
You can use yousendit.com ( http://www.yousendit.com/default.uplx ) - upload the file,and send it to yourself.  You will get an email giving the link to the file.  Just copy that link into this forum, and the first 25 people who wish to do so download it can, for up to 7 days.

Reply #17
Are there some sites with uncompressed NWC files around so I could try this out? Thanks!

Reply #18
Just open any NWC file in NWC, and select File, Save As. Under "Save as type", select "Uncompressed NWC file".

Reply #19
Hi James,

Is this limited to files created with certain versions of Noteworthy? I just tried it on one file and got an "unknown version number" error.

Thanks!

Reply #20
The link for this file has expired--would it be possible to have it posted again, or to send it to me (david.todd@psych.umass.edu)?

Thanks.

David

Reply #21
May I also have a copy too, please?

stuart dot moffatt at ic4life dot net

Thank you.

Reply #22
Me too, please?

robdenheijer at hccnet.nl

This sounds very interesting and promising!

Reply #24
Now that's what I call a very good way of hiding mail-addresses! Chapeau! Thanks, I'm going to use this method.
Rob.

Reply #25
Any chance also of the link as I have many hours of nwc notation that needs to be tranferred to Finale for some fine adjustments for a PhD submission.  Cheers

INBurton at AOL dot com

Reply #26
coming across this thread has saved me alot of time and energy,

I would love it if someone could reseed the link or perhaps email me the executable file for the nwc to xml converter app.

thanks  a bunch,
wjhind@sympatico.ca

Reply #27
Me too please:
kobATparadiseDOTnetDOTnz

Reply #28
News item: Microsoft just announced that its next version of MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.) will use XML as the default document format, rather than DOC, XLS, etc.

Reply #29
Bet it doesn't support MusicXML, though ;-)

Reply #30
I doubt if MS Office will support MusicXML. Some time ago, someone suggested NIFF as a universal music notation file format, then later MusicXML. It seems that XML is the wave of the future, in general.

For those who do not know: XML is a file format, or rather a method for file formats. A file in XML consists primarily of character data and markup tags, written according to certain rules. XHTML (which is essentially cleaned-up HTML) is an example of XML. The meaning of the markup tags, and how they are interpreted, is up to the application that handles the file.

Even if the user does not have an application that can properly interpret the tags, the meaning of the file can often be determined by reading it as plain text. For example, many non-scripted web pages can be read for content, without using a browser.

Ideally, the markup tags do not have obscure meanings. In MusicXML, anyone who knows music can read a file in plain text, and reconstruct the music (with effort).

By way of contrast, native formats such as NWC and MS DOC are in binary form, in which many characters cannot be read as plain text, and the meaning is obscure.

Some notation programs, such as Finale, can import or export MusicXML. But since Finale is intended for top-end professional publishing (with such features as micro-adjustment of each object position), a MusicXML file exported from Finale would probably lose some information if it could ever be imported to NWC. But it would still be better than MIDI, because MusicXML contains information about actual notation, rather than a sequence of commands to digital instruments. If NWC could export MusicXML, then the file could presumably be imported to Finale as-is, for further tweaking. That would allow an amateur to "write" the music in NWC, and a professional to "format" the music in Finale.

Reply #31
I wrote a MusicXML to NWC converter (written in VB.Net), you can find it here.

The converter requires NWC2 to be installed and running. It also requires the Microsoft .Net Framework (You can get it through Windows Update).

The converter takes one or more XML files, converts them and transfer the music data directly to NWC2. Not all MusicXML features are supported, since NWC doesn't support them all.

For bugs, comments, suggestions, praises, my email is in the package's readme file.

If I get enough comments and signs of interest about the tool I may create a web page for it. And the source code may be available for private use on request.

Have fun!

Reply #32
Hi, Again.

My name is James Lee.
I uploaded my nwc2xml on my web site. ( under construction... )

You can download nwc2xml.exe from here.
The program is under development, so it might crash with some version of nwc files. I'll fix it if I have more time.

http://www.geocities.com/juria90/nwc2xml.zip.

Reply #33
Old thread but for people who are passing buy ... I set up a nwctxt to MusicXML converter at http://nwc2musicxml.appspot.com/

Reply #34
I presume there will be applications that convert MIDI to and from MusicXML.  If not, I'll write one, just as soon as I've written the improved MIDI-to-NWC application I started two years ago (in other words, the next time you see a flying pig!)

When pigs fly? Well, swine "flu," so get cracking!

Reply #35
When pigs fly? Well, swine "flu," so get cracking!

Shouldn't that have been "crackling" ?  :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #36
A lot of software can import MIDI and export MusicXML. But if you are writing MIDI to NWC, you know that MIDI does not contain everything needed to do a score.
You can download <a href="http://musescore.org">MuseScore</a> to open a midi file, fix the score and export to MusicXML. MuseScore is free, 100%.