Skip to main content
Topic: brushes (Read 6655 times) previous topic - next topic

brushes

Does anyone know how to get my “cyber-drummer” to play with brushes? This would include the “stirring” effect on the snare as well as striking the snare, the toms, and the cymbals.
Thanks.

Re: brushes

Reply #1
If you have a Yamaha XG system (any of the following: DS-XG sound on the mainboard, DB50/60XG daughterboard, SW1000XG card, and of the SoftSynths, or an external XG keyboard) the brush and brush swirl sounds are in the "Brush Kit" set, Program 41 ("Acoustic Bass"). Brush Tap is the C# below the staff in bass clef, Brush Swirl L is D just above it. Continuing, D# is Brush Slap, and E is Brush Swirl H. The first three are also in the "Jazz Kit", Program 33 (Acoustic Bass).

If you have a soundfont-capable sound card, you should be able to remap any of the GM sounds; perhaps someone can suggest an appropriate sound font for this.

Fred

Reply #2
I don’t know what system I actually have in this machine. If you’re referring to the soundcard, it should be a SoundBlaster 64V PCI LC (but I’m not sure about this – this was “what came with the machine,” but I asked for “whatever the best thing you have, ’cause I’m a musician… I don’t think she quite knew what I meant…), and the Devices used by playback: A: SB Live! MIDI Synth, B: SB Live! MIDI Synth, Microsoft GS Wavetable SW[the rest is not visible], and SB Live! MIDI UART. Is there some way to achieve brushes with this set-up?

Reply #3
Yup. The SBLive! is a soundfont-based system. Your best bet to start with is Hammersound, where you can find out more about using soundfonts, and also download a wide range of free soundfonts. Be forewarned: they're big!

Fred

Reply #4
So if I send file to my brother and he doesn’t have those soundfonts installed, he won’t hear what I’m hearing?
I will try your suggestion, but I hope you’ll still be there for me if I have trouble. (I’ve had a few bad experiences with drivers and stuff – I’m still a little skittish…

Reply #5
Well, yes. If your brother doesn't have the same setup and the same soundfonts, he won't hear the same thing. *Unless* you record it to a wav file and encode it into an mp3 -- then everyone else will hear a "reasonable fascimile" of what you had in mind. But that's a whole other subject, that has been covered in excruciating detail in at least half-a-dozen threads on this forum (search for "mp3" should turn up most of them).

I'm sure one of the SBLive! cogniscenti will be happy to help out if you have trouble, I personally prefer the XG route... being happy to trade its somewhat more limited capabilities for somewhat more simplicity.

Fred

Reply #7
Anyone know how to get brushes on the toms and the cymbals?

Reply #8
I don'tknow about brushes on toms or cymbal ,what I have found works for me for
that" bluesy swishy" effect of brushes on rough snare is to use the Cabasa from the
drumref sample General midi percussion ref .

Reply #9
Hi K.A.T,
Fortunately I'm in a can do sort of mood now.I' ve just tried and I hope it also works for
you about using the Cabasa as a brush effect on toms and cymbal try this.
1. Write the tom or cymbal as you normally would just stack the Cabasa in time with it

2. Because they are on different clefs you can fiddle around with volume a bit
    by making the Cabasa say fff and the tom or cymbal mp according to your needs
    the objective is to drown out that stick sound.

Reply #10
Thanks, Timoteus B, I'll give that a try.
I have been fooling around with Pitch Bend MPCs, and it "works" a bit, but not all that satisfactorily. [glow=yellow,2,300][where's that spell checker!?!!?!?][/glow]

Reply #11
Satisfactorily is the correct spelling.
Supported by The Brotherhood of Pandas