Skip to main content
Topic: Some new features have me vexed. (Read 19379 times) previous topic - next topic

Some new features have me vexed.

Thanks for the upgrade!
Some of the new features have me vexed.
>>>Max songs on startup
How do I prevent this from happening?
>>>Ability to toggle mute on/off for an entire section…
This is GREAT! …but how do I do this?
When I press M for the mute list, I don't see any difference
between 1.75 and the previous version. I've looked in the
help file, but it was of no help.
>>>Select whole staff without having to highlight it
I'm at a loss here…

Re: Some new features have me vexed.

Reply #1
Your first NWC file now always opens as maximized. If you unmaximize it, future files will open normally in the session.

As for other questions, see the What's New section of the Help file.

Reply #2
>>>Max songs on startup
> How do I prevent this from happening?

Normally you'd only want your songs not to be maximised if you have more than one window open. You can either restore the windows individually, or use Window | Tile to automatically tile all open windows.

>>>Ability to toggle mute on/off for an entire section?
> This is GREAT! ?but how do I do this?
> When I press M for the mute list, I don't see any
> difference between 1.75 and the previous version. I've
> looked in the help file, but it was of no help.

Select a section you want to mute, then CNTL-E, ALT-Enter or Right-click | Properties, select Notes tab if more than one tab displayed, click or unclick Mute box.

> I'm at a loss here?

Edit | Select All, or ALT-E-A (in sequence)

HTH
Fred

Reply #3
>>>If you unmaximize it, future files will open normally in the session.
So I have to do that for every session?
Can’t I just turn it off somehow?
>>>Normally you'd only want your songs not to be maximised...
Maybe I’m not normal [but I know what I want...].
“Ability to toggle mute on/off for an entire section, in addition to individually by staff”
to me means that I could mute all of the saxes at once,
rather than muting the 1st Alto
then muting the 2nd Alto
then muting the 1st Tenor
then muting the 2nd Tenor
then muting the Bari.
THIS is what I want to be able to do,
Is this possible?
THIS is quite helpful. This will save a bit of time.
Thanks, Fred. [loved “Caverns!”]

Does “HTH” mean “Hope This Helps?”
Some of the abbrevs you folks use here “vexed” me as well.
Is there some sort of glossary I can access?

Reply #4
Regarding initial main window size - if I understand the question correctly - it remains however you left it. If you restore it to a small 1/4-sized window before closing, it will be the same when you restart the program.

Regarding muting staves - there isn't at present a facility for muting an entire "group" of staves. Might be one for the wish-list. At present, you can Mute All, Play All, or Reverse Selection (so you can play *only* the saxes, for instance, then reverse it and play *everything but* the saxes).

For some of the commonly used geek-speak acronyms you're likely to find in NWC land, have a look at the Scriptorium mini-FAQ (about a page down from where this link puts you).

Cheers,
Fred

Reply #5
>So I have to do that for every session?
>Can't I just turn it off somehow?

No, not at the moment.

Reply #6
It seems that the default has been switched from 'never maximised' to 'always maximised'. What you (Doug) now have to do each session is the equivalent to the 'opposite' action that others of us (I suspect the majority - who prefer to work maximised as default) had to do before, once each session. Its no big deal is it - one mouse click.
Joy

Reply #7
Oh!
I just thought of another new feature that “has me vexed.”
The clock now reads a “fraction” – current time / total time.
While this is pretty cool, there are times when I need to
find the time for a smaller section of the music.
Previously, I would simply play from m35-m63 (for example),
and I’d get the time. Now when I do that, the clock reads
0:53-1:49 (for example). Again, while this is cool, it’s
not always desired. Is there some way to turn this off?
[I know already that someone will reply
“What’s the big deal? Just do the math!” …such a pain…]

Reply #8
Ah.

Reply #9
Yeah, but…
Is there some way to turn it off?

Reply #10
Doug, what version did you upgrade from? If this is a change, it must have happened some time ago. I don't see any difference in behavior from version 1.70.

Reply #11
The song play back time was first added in an early 1.70 web update, so it did not appear in a CD release until the 1.75 CD.

Reply #12
Um.. no. :)

Fred

Reply #13
If you're using a 1.70 file, then you could use the 1.70 version (original 1.70 version).

With 1.70.11, you can copy the measures in a new temporary file, only don't forget the time sign. Or in an extra temporary staff within the same file.
Note:If you mute (not Shift+F5, mute list) all the other staves, you will have the complete time of the current stave only. (easy to do: M, Alt+M, Ctrl+End, Space, Enter. Ctrl-Z will reset things in ordnung :)
With 1.75, only the new-file solution is adequate.

Reply #14
The "Select All" feature is nice, though I've been perfectly happy with Home-Shift-End to accomplish the same thing.

I was hoping that perhaps the new feature would improve the way I do something I do frequently: After copying the entire note-contents of one staff to another, where the first staff is in treble clef and the second staff is in bass clef, I select the entire bass staff and use Cntl-Shift-Arrow to move the notes the 5 or 6 units to get them where they belong. If there are no notes near the beginning of the staff, but the notes are mostly near the end, I need to position my display at or near the end in order be able to see where the notes are going so I know when to stop. :-)

But as soon as I start the note editing on the selected portion (i.e. all) of the staff, it always moves the staff back to the beginning, where I can't see what I'm doing because there are no notes there.

I was hoping that Select All would act differently, but apparently it doesn't;

- seb

Reply #15
Well, that's not very convenient I agree, but you only need to know that the notes have to go up 5 times.

Or down 2 times if coming from a tenor score to bass score, if the tenor score is "clef"ed with soprano 8vb (which is usually the case).

For reference, the displacement are:
[let's name Soprano=S, Alto=A, Tenor=T, Bass=B (surprising, uh?), and -1 means 1 time lower (Ctrl+Shift+Down), +1 means 1 time higher (Ctrl+Shift+Up)]:

S to A: -1 or +6
S to T: +1 or -6
S to B: -2 or +5
A to S: +1 or -6
A to T: +2 or -5
A to B: -1 or +6
T to S: -1 or +6
T to A: -2 or +5
T to B: -3 or +4
B to S: +2 or -5
B to A: +1 or -6
B to T: +3 or -4

Of course, some -7 or +7 may be needed after this according to which octave you want it: here I give two values, one for notes lower GRAPHICALLY, one for higher GRAPHICALLY.

Real octave is not the same:
In NWC, the same sound is obtained, for instance, with:
Soprano clef, C at first lower ledger line [PitchPos:C 5@6]
Alto Clef, C at clef line (third line) [PitchPos:C 5@0]
Tenor Clef, C at clef line (4th line) [PitchPos:C 5@-2]
Bass Clef, C at first higher ledger line [PitchPos:C 5@-6]

So to have the same sound (ie same octave), then you should use:
S to A: +6
S to T: +8
S to B: +12
A to S: -6
A to T: +2
A to B: +6
T to S: -8
T to A: -2
T to B: +4
B to S: -12
B to A: -6
B to T: -4

Hope this is clear!

Reply #16
Me, I just stick a C in at the beginning of the staff, use that to see where I'm going, then delete it.

Reply #17
I've written a bunch of macro files for any transposition I want to do. Of course, it only works on my home system, which has WIN3.1 on it, but it saves a lot of time. ALT+7 moves bass clef to alto, or alto to treble, CTRL+7 does the other way around. If you do this a lot, it might be worth going to the scriptorium, downloading Recorder onto your shiny new system. If you like I'll even send you my macro  file (ntworthy.rec). There's one on the Scriptorium, but I think it was written for an older version of the program and doesn't work on the new one.