Skip to main content
Topic: Dual Installation of Different Versions (Read 14833 times) previous topic - next topic

Dual Installation of Different Versions

I have installed the new V1.75 of NWC. However, I also use an ABC-to-NWC conversion program that has now yet been modified to accommodate the new file format. Thus, I still need the older version for a while.

Will it cause problems if I essentially perform a dual installion of the older v1.70.11 NWC on the same system, using of course a different folder name?

I lieu of that solution, will any problems occur if the older v1.70.11 is reinstalled over the new v1.75?

Re: Dual Installation of Different Versions

Reply #1
No, there are no difficulties with installing a different version in a different directory (folder). The only side effect (and it's by no means a serious one) is that the Uninstall entries in the registry will refer only to the most recently installed version. So when you later uninstall V1.70, you'll no longer see an uninstall entry for V1.75 in the "Add/Remove Programs" applet. No problem, if you do want to remove 1.75 later, simply delete its directory -- or reinstall it on top of itself into the same directory, which will re-create the entry in the Add/Remove programs thingie.

Installing V1.70 over top of V1.75 would work, but only because NWC is well-written and "polite." In general, this sort of thing is considered "bad practise," and isn't a good habit to get into.

Regards,
Fred

Reply #2
Don, if the conversion program you're using goes only in the ABC-to-NWC direction, then you may not need two versions of NWC in the first place, since NWC 1.75 should be able to read the older format.

If you install 1.75 in such a way that file associations are not upgraded (so that clicking on an NWC file still brings up 1.70), you'll need to update them later. You can do this by hand if you're conversant with the registry, or re-install 1.75 on top of itself as Fred suggested for other reasons.

Reply #3
Thanks guys... The conversion does go both ways so I definitely need to keep the older version for a while. I think Fred's plan will suit my needs just fine. I can reinstall as necessary in the future to straighten things out when the time comes. It is a well behaved program, isn't it?

I appreciate the help.

Reply #4
> It is a well behaved program, isn't it?

Yes. If only all Windows software were as well-behaved as NWC, we'd hear much fewer "Winwoes."

Fred

Reply #5
BTW, if you want to use easily two different versions of NWC for your files, you can add a shortcut (.lnk file) of the non-default version to your "sendto" directory.

Currently, and as I asked NOT to associate NWC files with 1.75 version during 1.75 installation, when I double-click on an NWC file, it opens with 1.70.11 version.
To open it with NWC 1.75, I "right-click" (or use the "right click button" at the right of AltGr (right Alt), select "Send to", then choose NWC175.

You can, of course, use the same technique to "send" it to your browser, which will recognize it and will open it with NWC browser plug-in, if installed. (*)
Only one version of plug-in is allowed, though, so install the last version :)

And for people who, like me, use Windows Commander, Alt+F3 will be used for alternate program ;)

(*) : A candidate for a user tip, if not already present :)

Reply #6
Speaking of different versions of NWC, I know this was posted before, but does anyone still have a copy of NWC 1.0 that they could send me, just for fun. (This post was done with Netscape 1.0!) You can use to e-mail link to e-mail it to me.

Reply #7
I don't have 1.0 version, but I still got an 1.10 NWC program.
It didn't allow lyrics, and the different sizes were achieved by DLL resources. IIRC, there was only 4 staff sizes at that time.
Later, the staff sizes were made with NWCV12.TTF, which took less room. I remember Eric saying something like "so we can do better AND smaller".
It's on my other PC, if you want it, ask me.
I think the 1.75 CD doesn't have this 1.0 version, but there are old versions anyway, in the "\PAST" directory IIRC.

Reply #8
Speaking of dual installation, does anyone still have a copy of 1.70.11? In my haste to install and play with 1.75, I deleted my copy of 1.70.11 from my hard drive. I still have my set-up disk for v. 1.55 but don't want to go back quite that far.

Reply #9
Marsu, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. I would definitely like 1.10. It's a lot closer to 1.0 than 1.55! Please send it to me through e-mail. Thank You!