Skip to main content
Topic: Theres probably a simple way to do this but (Read 2417 times) previous topic - next topic

Theres probably a simple way to do this but

I don't know all the musical terms unfortunately but if you want to have a bar (say in 4/4 time) with a whole (4 beat) note and some quavers playing later in the bar, how can you do it? In written music there's a rest above the four note but whenever I try it in Noteworthy it insists on putting it after the note.

Doug

Re: Theres probably a simple way to do this but

Reply #1
You can "chord" the whole note with the rest. Here's a step-by-step description:

1: Set stem direction up (the button with the stem pointing up, or Shift-cursor up.)
2: Set duration = 1/4 (the button with the 1/4 note or "3" on the keyboard.)

3: Press Space bar. This enters the rest.

4: Set stem direction up.

5: Set duration = whole. ("1" on the keyboard)

6: With the cursor (insertion point) just after the rest, move it to where you want the note to be, then press CNTL-Enter. This chords the note to the rest.

Note that the actual time value of this "chord" will always be taken as the lowest member in the chord - 1/4 in this case - so you can enter the other 1/4 notes to fill out the bar.

Fred

Reply #2
I suppose you meant:

4: Set stem direction down.

Olivier.

Reply #3
Yes, thanks Olivier. Or "down" in step 1, depending on whether you want the rest to appear above or below the note.

Fred