Skip to main content
Topic: Noteworthy Player (Read 12444 times) previous topic - next topic

Noteworthy Player

To learn songs with Noteworthy Player, I must duplicate songs for each voices (soprani, alti, tenori, bassi).
It's no easy !
I hope that Noteworthy Player add these features:
- Mute list
- Go To
to start from measure or insertion point.

Re: Noteworthy Player

Reply #1
Seems to me that NWC already has these features,
isn't 'Cntl G' the "Go To" ?

Reply #2
>> isn't 'Cntl G' the "Go To" ?

Not in Player.

Reply #3
Yes GO TO is CNTL G

The "mute list" is only in Noteworthy Composer

It's the reason that I hope that these features are added
to Noteworthy PLAYER

Reply #4
For NWC file editing, you need the composer, not the player.
If you have NWC, I don't see the need; if you want this feature in NWP, then someone would soon want to be able to modify the instrumentation, or transpose, or add notes, ... briefly, having NWC for free!? Seems to me that if you want a screwdriver, you won't take a hammer.
Take the right tool for the right usage :)

BTW, IIRC, there are "midi thru" tools that allow you to mute some channels. As almost NWC choir scores are using one channel per staff, you would have the feature you need.

HTH!

Reply #5
But there are screwdivers and screwdrivers. I think you are overstating your argument ever so slightly when you claim that tweaking one program will make the other redundant.

I agree it would be nice to be able to adjust pitch and mute channels in NWP, and to be able to mark a start point (which you can sort of do in the browser add-on), This would still leave NWP somewhatshort of the features in NWC itself.

Very often I go into Player because it hides all the hidden stuff, thereby playing back much more elegantly than Composer does.

Peter

Reply #6
As a matter of fact, I rarely use the Player now: my preference goes to webbrowser's plug-in.
In which you can go directly to the part you want to (with the "slide" at the top of the window), though I didn't investigate if this can be done directly via javascripting instead of using mouse.
It also allows to print the file, a thing that NWP does'nt allow (at version 1.70wu10).
If some enhancements on the non-Composer softwares have to be done, I'd suggest the Browser plug-in first, but it's my opinion of course :)

And forgive me if I was a bit provocative :) but you know that there is always someone asking for more.
At the time being, if you want to modify a score in any way, it's NWC purpose. It's somewhat limited, I agree, but it is perfectly clear.
For comparison, let screwdrivers aside and consider, for instance, Word Viewer (c) µ$: you cannot modify a document, but you can view it. But I wouldn't take a µ$ program as a reference ;)

Reply #7
I think NWP should have the same functionality as the browser plugin, though of course one may argue that the browser plugin has made NWP redundant.

In any case, I thought a mute thingy would be quite cool.

Also some way of identifiying (right click | What's This? sort of thing) what the staff name is when wading through an orchestral score. Then also on the same right click could be Solo and Mute!

A

Reply #8
Actually, as a choir member, I find it difficult to learn a song by watching notes chase across the screen.

Try this: Use NWC (the registered version) to create sheet music separated by the parts, so that each voice sees only what he or shee needs to see (with maybe some cues from other parts). Also, export MIDI files of the parts, with one voide loud and others muted or at low volume. MIDI can be read by any MIDI player, on any computer.

This is what I've done for Handel's Hallelujah! chorus on my own web site. So far, more than 5000 satisfied downloads.

Reply #9
We'd have to take care where the staves are layered though!

Reply #10
I am a registered user an I have posted some pieces in NWC Scriptorium so I know that NWC can do. But I am so a choir member ! In my choir, some people have a PC at home for family but they don’t know NWC and they don’t need it because the language is english and NWC is very difficult for them.
So I prepare score with vocal staves only (others staves hidden) and I print these scores for all members.
As NWP is very easy to use, I think that it’s a good way to learn songs. But with NWP people can’t play some measure in loop and the ‘go to’ feature (Cntl G) would be useful. The ‘mute list’ feature allow them to play their staff with another. The other advantage of NWP upon Winamp is that they can read notes and lyrics and compare with their score. Only one person must be the master for printing, editing scores. My purpose is not to have NWC for free !
For choir members without PC, I prepare audio K7.

Pierre

Reply #11
If we're listing enhancements for NWP, I'd like to add a "pause" button. In the past I've suggested the same thing for NWC, but there's an even stronger argument for it in Player. Right now there seems to be no way to interrupt playback without returning to the start of the file. I recognize that a "Go to" function would lessen the need somewhat, but pause/resume is so common a feature in other media players that it seems very peculiar that it's missing in NWP.

Perhaps the best solution is Andrew's suggestion that NWP duplicate the functionality of the plugins. I wouldn't argue, though, that the plugins make NWP redundant.

Reply #12
I have already duplicate score for each voices but when I must correct something, this is more work.
And to avoid chase across, I change the color of play highlight same as default !

Reply #13
What do you call a "pause" button? Something that stops (mute) the music flow, then release it, as the pause button acts in the browser plug-in?
On my side, I dream of a 'fermata at will' pause function. Of course with instruments that have sound which is not maintained (guitar, piano...), the sound would decay; but with organ, violin or wind instruments (including (synth'ed!) voices), it would allow you to study a piece step by step. "Dreamer..." (Supertramp mood, or John L mood?)
just a thought...

Reply #14
I have in mind the kind of "pause" button you'll find on pretty much any piece of audio playback equipment (physical or virtual) - something that stops playback but allows you to resume from that point. (Yes, "pause" on a video system does continue to display the picture, but video is non-disruptive. IMO one of the main purposes of audio "pause" is to silence the audio briefly while you're dealing with something else.)

The kind of thing you're describing strikes me as a little esoteric for so basic a product as NWP, though it might have a place in NWC.

Reply #15
A pause button sure would be great. Here I am, listening to a piece of music [not a song, as all files are called] which is over eight minutes long, and the phone rings when I am in the fourth minute. I have to stop the playback, and when I hang up the phone, I have to start again at the beginning of the piece! How annoying!

Reply #16
Well, Eunice, you should try to use the browser plug-in instead of the player then. You can pause any time, or go any place in the "song", simply with the slider at the top.

BTW, that was the only way I found to be able to hear all of TAAB... with some interruptions!

Reply #17
Don’t I have to be online to use the browser plug-in?  If not, how do I access it?

Reply #18
Once the browser plug-in is installed, you can drop NWC files onto an open browser window from an Explorer window.

Reply #19
And this can be done offline?

Reply #20
Yes, or you can use your browser's File -> Open File command then browse for the desired NWC file on your hard drive.

Reply #21
Yes, this works fine offline. I did all the proofing and link-checking for the CCEH website offline.

You don't have to use the Infernal Exploder, either -- a real browser will work. Just type the filename as a URL:
c:/nwcdata/sonata1.nwc
or
file://c|/nwcdata/sonata1.nwc

Note that in the second form, the colon in the filename is replaced by a vertical bar, because colon is not a legal character in that part of the URL.

Reply #22
Okay, well, I gave this a shot and none of it worked.  I then went to the Samples page, and none of that worked either.  I just know I installed that plug-in.  Apparently, when I upgraded Infernal Exploder (good one, Stephen), it chose to ignore my plug-in.  I now have downloaded and installed the latest plug-in, and the samples work fine.  Now to try out the "Player."
I'll be back...

Reply #23
Okay, Fred's method (Reply 20) didn't work.  All it did was open NWC as normal.
I'll be back...

Reply #25
Concerning NWC/NWP use for choir rehearsal, I just wrote a new tip: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2476.

If you have any comments (including on english spelling or grammar because english is not my native language), you are welcome. I believe that I can modify the text of the user tip, if needed.

Reply #26
Good tip. The idea has seen extensive use in training CDs (for example "Music Minus One") and is easily extensible to NWC.

Olivier, your English spelling and grammar are just fine. What's more, it's easy to read and understand. Thanks.

Reply #27
Yes, Olivier, your English is better than many "natives."

This new tip reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask regarding stereo pan.  On my previous machine, panning a staff all the way to the left or right made it quieter, while on my present system it is much louder.  Which situation is more "normal" or more common?

Reply #28
On my previous machine, panning a staff all the way to the left or right made it quieter, while on my present system it is much louder. Which situation is more "normal" or more common?

Your situation seems rather odd. The idea behind stereo balance is to simply change the apparent source of the sound, while keeping the volume the same.

If your pan setting is off-center in your mixer applet, panning to one side will result in higher output than if you pan to the other. Similarly, if there is a difference in system gain between your left and right channel hardware (amplifier, speakers, etc.) you'll get the same effect.

Another thing I can think of is if you're using a stereo amplifier and speakers for your sound (as I do), and if your speakers are out of phase, it will sound louder when panned to either side, because there will be some cancellation when near the center. Speakers should be phased (i.e. connected) the same way on both sides, e.g. the wire with the stripe or other markings connected to the same terminal (red or black) for both channels on the amplifier.

Finally, some sound "enhancement" options (such as "3D-wide," Surround-sound, DSP, stuff like that) can really make a mess of your virtual sound stage. While such effects can be interesting as effects, I don't consider them to have much of a place in general usage.

Reply #29
>>The idea behind stereo balance is to simply change the apparent source of the sound...
The key word here is apparent.  On many stereo systems that I've own or tested, panning to the left actually was accomplished by lowering the volume to the right side, or raising the volume to the left side (or both).

Reply #30
Fred wrote: The idea behind stereo balance is to simply change the apparent source of the sound, while keeping the volume the same.

I would call this pan(oramic), not balance.

On any Hi-Fi system I've used (including sound cards mixers), when using balance, I expected Fred's description behavior; instead of this, I had another one, which could be described like this:
for "balance" values from -100 to +100,
when set to -100, left volume is 100%, right volume is 0%
when set to -50, left volume is 100%, right volume is 50%
when set to 0, left volume is 100%, right volume is 100%
when set to +50, left volume is 50%, right volume is 100%
when set to +100, left volume is 0%, right volume is 100%

So if you turn balance full left when listening to the Beatles, you won't hear the voices (or guitar, I don't remember) any more.
With panning, you would hear the voices going from right to left.
This (panning) can be done when making the NWC/midi file; but once it is written, or placed on a CD as an audio track, you usually won't have this possibility any more.