Skip to main content
Topic: Fermatas not exported (Read 5778 times) previous topic - next topic

Fermatas not exported

Hi

I don't think fermatas export properly from NWC. When played back on a MIDI player they are ignored.

Tuan pham

Re: Fermatas not exported

Reply #1
No, fermatas are not exported. Neither are breath marks.

But there's a fix for these. Put the fermata before the note with no specified delay and hide a tempo marking before the note, either before or after the fermata.

MIDI will recognize the tempo change, yet any printouts will show the fermata instead.

Similarly, use a breath mark and tempo marking with a rest to pause in a piece. If no rest is conveniently there, perhaps you could add one just for the purpose of exporting to MIDI format and afterward remove it.

These seem like smaller items that could be easily fixed in the next NWC update.

Tim Reichard

Reply #2
Tim said:

<<<These seem like smaller items that could be easily fixed in the next NWC update. >>>

Perhaps. It's not quite that easy. If I recell an e-conversation I had with Eric about this about 6 months ago, MIDI does not support fermata or breath marks. So to implement it, NWC would need to basically do the workaround Tim mentioned.

I wonder what effect that would have on bar lengths and such. It may be that it is no problem, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else know?

Andrew

Reply #3
>>>>Perhaps. It's not quite that easy. If I recell an e-conversation I had with Eric about this about 6 months ago, MIDI does not support fermata or breath marks. So to implement it, NWC would need to basically do the workaround Tim mentioned.

I don't understand. When you play from NWC, you send msgs to the MIDI mapper. When you export, you send the same signals to a file. So why the different behaviors? (Should be like printing to a file and to a printer respectively)

Tuan

Reply #4
I said:Perhaps. It's not quite that easy. If I recell an e-conversation I had with Eric about this about 6 months ago, MIDI does not support fermata or breath marks. So to implement it, NWC would need to basically do the workaround Tim mentioned.

Tuan said: I don't understand. When you play from NWC, you send msgs to the MIDI mapper. When you export, you send the same signals to a file. So why the different behaviors? (Should be like printing to a file and to a printer respectively)

I say: I thought the same thing having already posted. But I'm still not sure how it is implemented. There could well be differences between what NWC sends to the Midi device and what is exported to a midi file. The bottom line I guess is that I shouldn't need to know and it'd be nice if NWC could export them in a future release.

All the things we've asked Eric to do will probably keep him busy for the next few years! If NW Artware can hold the price down AND implement these many changes (esp. generic trills, glissandi, etc) they will have an ASTONISHING PRODUCT with NO EQUAL.

How long do we have to wait, Eric :-) ?

Andrew