Skip to main content
Topic: Jazz/pop chart writing symbols (Read 6145 times) previous topic - next topic

Jazz/pop chart writing symbols

There desperately needs to be basic chord comping [/] and measure repeat [%] symbols which are recognized as a one beat space and one or more measure space respectively. -So one doesn't have to keep writing (and more importantly instrumentalist need not read)repeditive phrases over and over. Most all pop, rock and jazz charts are written in this way. Please add these in the next version.

Re: Jazz/pop chart writing symbols

Reply #1
I second that. A basic repeat bar and most likely, a two-bar repeat would be nice. More than that, In order to type in chord names (as text), you have to guess at the number of spaces you need in order to get them to look nice on paper. We could sure use a slash rhythm marker that occupies either a beat or a half-beat (gotta have that anticipation at slow tempos) where we could type in chord symbols and keep a nice spacing. The larger problem is that when typing in chord symbols as text, a Cm doesn't take any space at all, but after an F#m13 (b5 -9), the spacing to the rest of the score is pretty well trashed, because there are big white spaces around the beat. It's impossibly time-consuming to enter a bass line and chords over it. Should be able to create that, and then copy the chords over to a guitar part so that we don't have to re-invent the wheel. I've been on hold for a while trying to get a new midi cable. Seems mine was broken fresh out of the package, so the above observations are all based on note entry the hard way. I can do generally nice instrument parts, but rhythm parts are a real test. Looks like I'll be trying to create them somewhere else, convert to midi file, then import back into NWC. Wish we could keep it all in NWC. Maybe soon.

Reply #2
Yes - and to that add multi bar rests, drum and rhythm note heads, section open rehearsal letters/numbers, lip ups, fall offs and grace notes. They dont have to be MIDI (playable) items - just graphic (printable options). I'd happily pay another registration for these. If you also want these features add them to the Wish List at this site.

Reply #3
Good point about not needing the frills to work with midi. I'm dealing with actual parts for performance, and I don't need the midi capability at all. None of our 500 charts are mid-capable, and that doesn't stop us from playing. As a notation program, really the paper is the proof.

Reply #4
Hi...I agree with everything that everyone says about chord symbols. NWC is fantastic, especially for the price but itreally does need much better chord symbol handling, probably in theform of a separate module...and most important of all entered chord symbols should be transposable along with the stave other wise they simply have to be re-entered which is a complete pain. This is especially vital if your writing for a jazz band/group where people on transposing instruments need to improvise over the changes. This extra wish already sent to wish list....

Nikki