Skip to main content
Topic: Fonts: A language perspective (Read 6324 times) previous topic - next topic

Fonts: A language perspective

RE: FONTS

It is really frustrating to see such a glaring defect in a potentially great product.

Does NWC realise that while maybe 30% of the world's people use English in everyday communication, probably less than 10% write songs in English (mainly the native anglo-saxons)? Most people, even if they are fluent in English as a 2nd language, write songs and poems in their own.

Until NWC fixes this problems then all Russian, Croatians, Indian etc. songwriters won't be able to publish songs using their own fonts. So NWC is cutting off 90% of people from using their software.

Regards Tuan Pham

Re: Fonts: A language perspective

Reply #1
I have to agree, regretfully. Even though my problem is small compared to those of them who uses a completely different alphabet. I use codepage 850 because our alphabet uses the letters å, ä, and ö. (It will be a test right now if they will show up correctly in the forum when post this). So, please include support for languages and codepages for the whole world. Jan_Hjelm@hotmail.com

Reply #2
I have to agree, regretfully. Even though my problem is small compared to those of them who uses a completely different alphabet. I use codepage 850 because our alphabet uses the letters å, ä, and ö. (It will be a test right now if they will show up correctly in the forum when post this. So, please include support for languages and codepages for the whole world. Jan_Hjelm@hotmail.com

Reply #3
I have to agree, regretfully. even though my problem is small compared to those of them who uses a completely different alphabet. I use codepage 850 because our alphabet uses the letters å, ä, and ö. (It will be a test right now if they will show up correctly in the forum when post this. So, please include support for languages and codepages for the whole world. Jan_Hjelm@hotmail.com

Reply #4
Windows 95 supports the full ASCII character set, which includes å, ä, and ö.

Open the Character Map (one of the Accessories). All the characters for each font are shown, along with shortcut keys to type them.

To type å, hold down Alt and type 0229, then release Alt. For ä, use 0228 instead. For ö, use 0246.

The Character Map may show other shortcut keys for special characters, but I think these are dependent on the keyboard language settings in the Control Panel. The Alt+number codes above should work regardless on Windows 95.

If you don't have Windows 95, maybe there's still a way.

Tim Reichard

Reply #5
Jan said <<å, ä, and ö. (It will be a test right now if they will show up correctly in the forum when post this)>>

Looks like an a with a circle above (what are they called, Jan?), an a-umlaut and o-umlaut.

Probably look nothing like it on a Mac, but then there probably aren't many Mac users on this Forum, are there? :-)

A

Reply #6
Actually, using code page 850 seems to be even easier in WIN 3.1 Before I switched to '95 my DOS programs came up in the proper code page (I use 850 in order to catalog books and records published outside the U.S.) but I still haven't figured out how to get that to work in WIN95. Paradox and WordPerfect seem to remember that I want to use cp850, but when I launch a DOS text editor it just gives me 437.

The special characters showed up fine for me, too, but then I MAY have 850 enabled in NetScape--but I don't know how to tell!

Cyril N. Alberga

Reply #7
>>Probably look nothing like it on a Mac, but then there probably aren't many Mac users on this Forum, are there? :-)

I read this forum from Netscape on OpenVMS/Alpha System and the fonts look correct here. I also moved the file over to a Mac (via a rather circuitous route) and they look fine there too. Rather surprising that *some* things "just work" in this environment ;-)

Reply #8
I fully agree - I have no problems with the Swedish letters, but I would also like to be able to use e.g. Russian (Cyrillic) letters, and - above all - to increase the SIZE of the lyrics text.

I urge everyone who agrees to add this issue to the Wish List - the place which Noteworthy actually monitors for this kind of suggestions.

Best wishes

Paul Nordgren

Reply #9
Andrew said: >Looks like an a with a circle above (what are >they called, Jan?), an a-umlaut and o-umlaut.

"Umlaut" is the German (and international?) name for the two dots above the letters. I don't know what the circle is called, an "a with a circle above" is simply another character in Swedish, very different from the "a". It is BTW pronounced like "aw" in "saw".

Reply #10
Once again I must repeat that problem of Lyrics font in NWC
is FUNDAMENTAL for European countries and solution is only
on NWC programmers side by adding possibility of font name
modification!!

Without this is impossible create readable lyrics. How you
can feel if previous text look like this:

Oxce atain I mrust rapeat teat prxbem ov bycics....

Zdenek Hladik