Skip to main content
Topic: soprano clef (Read 2857 times) previous topic - next topic

soprano clef

I need a soprano clef. Any ideas on how to patch one into the dropdown list of clefs?

The soprano clef resembles alto and tenor, but its middle is on the bottom line of the staff: C appears in the position of E in the treble clef.

Re: soprano clef

Reply #1
You can insert the clef visually as text, by setting one of the User Fonts to NWCV15.TTF. The text character for the alto/tenor clef symbol is "c". Experiment with the font size to get it the proper size. You can then insert a standard clef (such as treble or alto) as a hidden item, and adjust your note positions to suit. If you also want proper playback, use transposition on that staff as needed. (-2 on treble clef should be right).

You'll also have to duplicate the text clef after every system break, either "natural" or forced.

Fiddly, but it should work for you.

Fred

Re: soprano clef

Reply #2
Funny that you have to use that clef (Clef de sol 3).
Only a few people can read it, and it's mainly used for *high* parts (it's written one octave higher than the Clef de Sol 2 (the one you find usually on right hand piano part), in fact it's over the other one. I saw it once for very high parts on a flute/piccolo piece. I prefer the 8vo sign much better :)

If you have some key signature, you also have to enter it "by hand", the same way Fred explained for the Clef.

Of course, a single copy of all these items simultaneously will allow you to paste it at will where you need it.

For playback, I'm afraid you'll need to create a hidden staff and copy the music in it (select all, copy, paste in the new (with treble clef), and move twice in down direction). Don't forget to mute the "soprano" clef-ed staff, for the key signature on it wouldn't sound correct. (even if transposed 2 tones (4 semitones) lower, the minor interval are not on the same location in the scale...

HTH :)

P.S. The same kind of problem occurs with the other Clef d'ut and clef de fa. But they are rarely used (viole de gambe, theorbe essentially)