Skip to main content
Topic: getting started (Read 1997 times) previous topic - next topic

getting started

I have recently purchased a Casio wk1300 keyboard and NOTE WORTHY COMPOSER. My aim is to teach myself music, to play the keyboard and to use Noteworthy in conjunction with my keyboard. I am using USB Midisport 1 x 1 interface that is installed correctly.
To date I am unable to either send or receive any data from the keyboard. I am 69 years old but fully conversant with PCs and the use of many aspects of Noteworthy. I would be most grateful if some kind person could explain the communication proceedure to get my keyboard fully working, at present, the more i read the more confused I become. Many thanks. Peter Ford

Re: getting started

Reply #1
Let's start with determining what works, and how you know it works. You say:

>using USB Midisport 1 x 1 interface that is installed correctly

What did you do to verify that it is installed correctly? This statement seems inconsistent with your next comment:

>To date I am unable to either send or receive any
>data from the keyboard

After you have successfully installed the box and the cables, sending and receiving from your MIDI keyboard is a simple process.

Sending from NWC to the keyboard: Select the external MIDI device in Tools | Options | Midi | Devices used by play back. When first doing this, make sure that this is the ONLY device that you configure for use by play back.

Sending from the keyboard to NWC: Select the external MIDI device in Tools | Options | Record | Input Device. Then, start a new file with File | New, enable MIDI input from Tools | MIDI Input Active, and notes you play on the keyboard will appear in the active staff. Once this works, you might want to try your hand at real-time recording using Tools | Record.