Skip to main content
Topic: Layering (Read 3334 times) previous topic - next topic

Layering

Hi...I would like to know how to layer scores...like say i wanted to have an orchestra template and i wanted to layer basoon 1 and 2... how do i do it????
Please help!!!

Re: Layering

Reply #1
1. choose the two staves you want to layer. These must be next to each other in the score (not separated by any other staves). Then, on the upper of these staves, bring up the Staff Properties dialog (pressing <F2> wll do it), go to the Visual tab, and check the box labeled "Layer with next staff". Click on "OK".

2. Now bring up the Page Setup dialog (<alt>fg) and go to the Contents tab. Check the box labeled "Allow layering". Now the staves will appear one superimposed over the other.

You can edit your staves while they are layered (moving between staves using <PageUp> and <PageDown>), or edit with the staves unlayered and layer them only to check that they'll appear correctly in the printout. I find it easier to do most of my work with the layering disabled, but others prefer to edit with layering turned on so they can tell right away how the end result will look.

One useful feature for layered staves is the ability to change the directions of stems, ties and slurs. Stem direction can be changed by selecting a note and pressing <Shift><UpArrow> or <Shift><DownArrow>. Slur and tie direction can be changed by selecting the note where the slur or tie begins, bringing up its Properties dialog (<Ctrl>e) and selecting the desired direction from the "Slur Direction" or "Tie Direction" list box.

(These instructions assume you want to layer only 2 staves together. For more staves, just select "Layer with next staff" on all but the lowest.)

Reply #2
Keep in mind that layering visually superposes whatever is on the layered staves (unless something is hidden). This is not necessarily the same thing as constructing chords on a single layer. In particular, if beamed notes at different pitches are layered, then both sets of beams will appear. If you inadvertently have stems pointing in the same direction, layered eighth notes may appear to be sixteenth notes.

If you do need stems pointing in the same direction, consider using chords rather than layering. If you sometimes need stems the same direction, other times opposite (as with SATB harmony with "moving" notes), then use a combination of chords and layering. You can use hidden rests to occupy un-needed measures.

Reply #3
I've also noticed that layered 8th notes with stems in the same direction look like 16th notes. If I am merging two parts on one staff, I often want stems in the same direction. half and quarter notes are fine. Flagged 8th look like 16ths, and beamed 8ths have two beams. Wouldn't  it be better for NWC to display flags only on the longest stem when matching layered notes have stems in the same direction? If beamed, only one beam should display/print. If a beamed 8th note is matched with a flagged 8th in a layered staff, it could pick one, or display both and let the user fix it. Wish list?

Reply #4
A possible solution to Bub's problem is to set one stem direction up and the other down, so when layering the staves, the beams will not displayed incorrectly.

Reply #5
But I wanted the stems in the same direction! Actually, this is a good reason to upgrade to v2. Adjustable stem lengths! It's great.