Skip to main content
Topic: radio shack midi keyboard HELP! (Read 24524 times) previous topic - next topic

radio shack midi keyboard HELP!

I have a Radio Shack MD-1160 Midi capaple keyboard, and I can't get it to work on NoteWorthy composer... or another sequencer/composer for that matter. Please help me! I have a cable, and it's hooked up... I can't find anything wrong... but I know something isn't right! Help!

benji

Re: radio shack midi keyboard HELP!

Reply #1
Benji - If it doesn't work at all, start with the basics. Remember that Midi-IN at the computer connects to Midi-OUT at the keyboard - Midi-OUT at the computer connects to Midi-IN at the keyboard. Also, in NWC, check Tools/Options/Midi and Tools/Options/Record to be sure you've selected the right device.

Hope this helps,
Keith

Reply #2
From looking over the manual, I see that your keyboard has an on board synthesizer. Since your keyboard has an "on board" synth, focus on getting your computer to be able to trigger the keyboard from the computer, via MIDI out, before working on anything else.

- First, connect the cables. Follow the instructions in the "MAKING THE MIDI CONNECTIONS" section of your manual.

- Second, select the correct external MIDI device for play back in NWC. This is set up from Tools | Options | Midi | Devices used by play back (select an use only one device at a time while you are setting up).

- If this fails, you will need to diagnose your problem (See https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1599.msg8397#msg8397). Search for past threads to see how others have solved problems.

Reply #3
well, i looked at my cable, and it doesn't have the in/out on the computer end of the cord, but a 15 (i think) prong connecter for the sound card. It also has something that attaches into the joystick controller on the sound card attached to it. I don't have anything to plug that into. I shouldn't think I would need one, but just making sure.

benji

Reply #4
This sounds like my own connector cable. The spare connector at the computer end is to plug a joystick into if you wanted to use one at the same time as your midi cable was plugged into the joystick port on the soundcard - so you are right that it is not necessary to connect that bit. The midi in/out confusion usually happens at the end you plug the leads into the keyboard - do try swopping them round to see if it makes a difference, even if you THINK you've done it right.
This helped me, I hope it may help you too.
Joy

Reply #5
Correct. The in/out MIDI connectors are for the keyboard end.

Reply #6
What do you mean trigger the keyboard from the computer. I get the idea of what you mean, but how do I go about doing that? Thanks for the help.

Benji

Reply #7
If your keyboard has on-board synthesis, NWC can "play" the keyboard from the computer via the MIDI interface between the two. You need to:

- connect the correct cables in the correct way
- select the correct MIDI Out device in NWC that designates that MIDI output to your keyboard
- you need to make sure that device is selected for each staff in Staff Properties | Midi | Play back device

Reply #8
The only "button" in NoteWorthy Composer the determines your playback device is in Tools -> Options -> Midi. The device(s) listed in the right pane will be the available devices. You can use the left-right buttons to add/remove devices. Normally you should only have one entry in this pane; however, more than one are allowed. You can then specify on a per-staff basis which device each staff uses. This will then be in Staff Properties -> Midi tab, Playback Device pulldown. Just be careful about publishing sequences that use more than one device, as not everyone will have more than one device available.

Hope this helps.
Fred

Reply #9
Well, I get that. What I'm trying to ask is what to do once inside the NoteWorthy program, how to "play the keyboard". Is there a special button, or am I just ignorant... or blind? Thanks for ALL of your help.

Benji

Reply #10
I do not know what you mean by your "play the keyboard" question.

Reply #11
I need the Radio shack MD-1160 Manual..I can't get it from the Radio Shack site. My e-mail is steverichards@juno.com. also can't get it to midi through my Lorg D1200, any help out thee?  Thanks

Re: radio shack midi keyboard- Concertmate 900

Reply #13
I have a Radio Shack MD-1160 Midi capaple keyboard, and I can't get it to work on NoteWorthy composer... or another sequencer/composer for that matter. Please help me! I have a cable, and it's hooked up... I can't find anything wrong... but I know something isn't right! Help!

benji

Dear benji,

I too have a Concertmate 900 keyboard, Had everything set up right, and connected correctly,I was called away on family business, Came home and lost the whole thing. Set pc back to original settings and downloaded the TurtleBeach Midi cable drivers, tested it, now only IN-PORT DOESN'S WORK OUT- PORT DOES. Tried another Midi cable same thing. There is also a special cable Midi cable for the Concertmate got those too.  I have to start from BASE 1 AGAIN  and look for answers again myself why the IN-port doesn't work,

Sincerely,

KatyAnnRose55
Kathleen Gleeson

Reply #14
Hi, Kathleen -

I suspect that Benji is probably way past the Radio Shack keyboard, since he posted the original question back in 2001.

One thing to remember when hooking up MIDI cables is that IN on the keyboard goes to OUT on the soundcard and OUT on the keyboard goes to IN on the soundcard.

If you can't get the MIDI in to work on your soundcard, you might want to consider purchasing a USB to MIDI adapter (they're not very expensive).  It comes with two MIDI connectors on one end (IN and OUT) and a USB connector on the other end.  Then just load the software driver for it and select that as your input port in NoteWorthy Composer.  Since my new computer doesn't have a game port or MIDI connectors on the sound card, that's what I did and it works fine.
John

Re: Radio Shack CONCERTMATE 990 IN-PORT -emulates sound

Reply #15
Thank you,  John,  I did happened to have a regular Midi usb cable on and talked with the Dell. tec. They said it was a software problem and to talk with the Radio Shack people. Everything works but the IN-PORT light is OFF and only emulates it. The OUT-PORT LIGHT goes on.  There is sound off the keyboard and the pc can be tested and heard. My problem is almost solved. I am still looking for advice and looking at my pc-XP repair books. Keep trying.

Thank you for your reply.

KatyAnnRose55
Kathleen Gleeson

Hi, Kathleen -

I suspect that Benji is probably way past the Radio Shack keyboard, since he posted the original question back in 2001.

One thing to remember when hooking up MIDI cables is that IN on the keyboard goes to OUT on the soundcard and OUT on the keyboard goes to IN on the soundcard.

If you can't get the MIDI in to work on your soundcard, you might want to consider purchasing a USB to MIDI adapter (they're not very expensive).  It comes with two MIDI connectors on one end (IN and OUT) and a USB connector on the other end.  Then just load the software driver for it and select that as your input port in NoteWorthy Composer.  Since my new computer doesn't have a game port or MIDI connectors on the sound card, that's what I did and it works fine.

Reply #16
Hi, Kathleen,

I use the E-Mu XMIDI 1x1 USB to MIDI interface with my Casio WK-3700 keyboard (not the same as the Radio Shack keyboard, but the Radio Shack keyboards are really Casios), and it also works with my very old Casio WK-1200 (vintage 1999).  I've had no problems with in and out using that interface.  Don't know if that helps, but maybe you could looking into buying one (or one similar), but with the option to return it for a refund if it doesn't work.  Just a thought.
John

Reply #17
Hi Everyone

One quick point regarding USB to Midi adapters.  I have a Uno device, but I am sure other makes are similar.  After installing the drivers it worked perfectly both in and out.  BUT ....  Next time I started up the PC it hung just at the point the BIOS detected and spun up the hard drives.  So I stripped it all down, found nothing wrong, and put it back together again (without the USB to Midi plugged in) and it booted fine.  A reboot, and it failed!  One new 650w PSU and it still failed on reboot.  Eventually I unplugged the Uno device, and booting was perfect! 

There is a maximum power capacity of a USB port, 500mA if my memory serves me, and that is supplied through the motherboard.  The Uno device was drawing so much power that there was none left to get the hard drives (SATA) detected!  Once the machine was up and running, there was enough power available.  £50 worse off!  Anyone want a 400w s/h PSU?

Reply #18
One quick point regarding USB to Midi adapters. 
Wow. Sounds like a few days our of your life that you're not going to get back.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it should have occurred to you that a USB device was unlikely to push your main power supply over the edge. Either the device and/or the supply would be getting quite hot if that were the case. A dedicated USB card for the MIDI adapter would have been my first attempt at a fix.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #19
Yes, Rick, I agree hindsight is a wonderful thing.  However, whether the USB port is on the motherboard or an add-on PCI card, it gets its power from the same place, the motherboard!  The simple solution was to attach the Uno USB-Midi device to one of the front USB ports and make sure it was unplugged on bootup!  As a footnote, I did try a powered USB hub (which in theory should only draw negligible power from the mobo) and this would not power the Uno device!  It was only a cheapo hub, so it could have been a faulty one.  I am an IT professional, and I went barking up the wrong tree at first.  Pity the poor end-user in the sma situation!

Reply #20
I've found with my USB-MIDI adapter that it works best by NOT booting with it connected.  I wait for my computer to boot up completely, then I plug it in and let the PC find it and load the driver.  Then it works fine.  If I boot with it, it's not always recognized.  I've also found that it works best if I always plug it into the same USB port each time.  I've read on other forums where other folks have had the same experience.
John

Reply #21
I've had the same experience as John. I have four USB devices (mouse, keyboard, printer, external HD) plugged in permanently; all others I plug in only as needed. I've noticed that the computer often lets me know it's found a "new device" when I plug in something it's recognized umpteen times before. My digicam and my GPS unit usually trigger this behavior; other things may do it occasionally. At first I chalked it up to plugging into a different port, but I've only got two empty ports and it's happened more than twice with each unit. So I dunno. My current theory for the cause is M$ updates. But maybe I'm just cynical.

Bill

Reply #22
Uh! That doesn't come as a surprise to me.

I have a Canon printer permanently connected to an USB port, but it must be off for windows to boot.
If it's on, windows locks in the boot process without any message.

Then I have the very same behavior with a HP scanner and/or a joystick, with the small detail that they do not have a "power switch".

It's three years I'm hoping for a M$soft fix...

Reply #23
Regarding power issues, with the exception of mouse, keyboard, thumb drives, and battery powered cameras/mp3 players/portable devices, it is generally a good idea to use a powered USB hub with any device that derives its power from the USB port.

Reply #24
Quote from: NoteWorthy Online
it is generally a good idea to use a powered USB hub with any device that derives its power from the USB port.

OTOH, there are a few peripherals that demand to be plugged directly into the computer. My external HD is happier that way (everything else prefers the powered hub). So maybe the best advice is: if you're having trouble with a USB device plugged directly into your machine, try a powered hub - and vice versa.

Cheers,

Bill