Skip to main content
Topic: transposing clefs (Read 5682 times) previous topic - next topic

transposing clefs

I often need to cut and paste stuff from a staff written in one clef to a staff in another. So far it's been hit and miss, with a lot of misses. Anybody know a way to do this?

Re: transposing clefs

Reply #1
Well, I found a way to transpose from bass clef to treble.

1) tools->transpose staff dialog to transpose part up into the usual range for a treble clef part 2) export to midi 3) import from midi.

you'll have a part in treble clef. The same kind of procedure works for going from treble clef to bass clef. Now I just need a way to get to and from tenor clef. Anybody?

Reply #2
Would've been nice to get a little more info on what exactly the problem is, but I'll have a shot.

It seems your wanting to cut and paste from one staff to another, and have the notes transposed to the correct key. I'm pretty sure the exporting and importing is unnecessary.

What I do is as follows:

1) Set up the clef and key on the recipient staff, either by cutting and pasting the key sig from the donor staff, or just entering the key using the K command.

2) Select the appropriate notes fromthe donor staff, copy and go to the insertion point or the recipient staff and insert

3) Now SELECT the notes in question (selecting a whole staff is easy, HOME key, hold down shift, and press END key).

4) Move all the notes up or down as follows:

a) Treble to Bass: Up five

b) Bass to treble: Down five

c) Bass to tenor: Up three

d) Tenor to bass: Down three

e) Treble to tenor: Up one

f) Tenor to treble: Down one

I never use the alto clef (actually I don't use the tenor clef, either) but you get the idea.

Hope this hit the nail on the head.

Regards,

Andrew

Reply #3
The only thing I'd add to Andrews list of instructions is "Force Accidentals" before moving the notes and "Audit Accidentals" afterwards. To copy between staves with different clefs, you may want to make multiple copies of the notes, each with a different clef.

Reply #4
I do the same as Andrew, and I don't agree with you, John. If the key signature is the same in both keys, there is no need to Force/Audit the accidentals.

But it may be useful to audit the note stems.