Skip to main content
Topic: Playback of Transposing instruments (Read 4770 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback of Transposing instruments

How do I get transposed instruments to sound at concert pitch when played back. It doesn't sound to good when saxophones, trumpets, and pianos are playing back in their own key!!

Re: Playback of Transposing instruments

Reply #1
Nicole, Are you entering music at concert pitch or already transposed?

Select the staff in question, and choose the MIDI tab. The "Transposition" field specifies how many semitones to transpose up or down on playback. For instance -2 for Bb a trumpet or clarinet, -9 for an Alto Sax and -21 for a baritone sax. When set correctly, the playback will be in the correct key but the notes won't actually change.

There is also a "Transpose Staff" function in the "Tools" menu which will change the notes. You can select the number of semitones to transpose up or down. This can be used to enter notes in concert pitch, then transpose into another key. You should "Force Accidentals" before using it. Also be aware that you may end up with some strange choices for enharmonic spelling, especially in minor keys.

Look in HELP under TRANSPOSE for more information.

Reply #2
I have the same problem. When I enter a staff e.g. for Trumpet, and try to play a note on trumpet, they don't sound the same height. What causes this ? I must enter -1 in the midi-box at the staff properties to make the computer to sound the same as the trumpet.

Reply #3
I have the same problem. When I enter a staff e.g. for Trumpet, and try to play a note on trumpet, they don't sound the same height. What causes this ? I must enter -1 in the midi-box at the staff properties.