Skip to main content
Topic: Display of notation (Read 4243 times) previous topic - next topic

Display of notation

As a new "evaluator" of the shareware version of Noteworthy, it is not clear to me why notation is not shown on the screen the same way as it would be printed. In other words, why is it noted in one long continuous line rather than by wrapping each line as a word processor would? It would be much easier to see where you were in the score when editing or playing back. Is this the way it is in the full version? Are there any upgrades planned along the way to change this?

Re: Display of notation

Reply #1
HSkidmore asks why Noteworthy isn't a full WYSIWYG editor. Before purchasing Noteworthy, I had purchased another product which was "full WYSIWYG" (names supressed to protect the guilty). Apart from some rather unfortunate choices in the user interface, such as moving notes by point and drag and strict spacing proportional to duration (arrgghh!), the third worst feature was WYSIWYG. Each time I pointed to select a note, unless I was exceptionally careful, the mouse would wobble a bit and the program think I'd moved it and would recalculate the ENTIRE SCORE. By the time I'd entered 4 voices with 200 bars each, the recalc would take 20 seconds (timed, not estimated) for each and every change anywhere. That was on a 64MB Pentium 166. Since I was planning on expanding to 32 voices for that project, I changed to Noteworthy. It was either $50 for Noteworthy or $50,000 to purchase a few Alphas to handle the compute load. Noteworthy dealt with the multiple voices with no trouble at all, even on a 486. Although Noteworthy could certainly do with a bit more control over the printed output (such as user selectable page turns), I for one would protest very loudly at any attempt to go WYSISYG.

Re: Display of notation

Reply #2
I would add that once you get beyond two, or at most three, staffs in a score any wrap-around is pretty useless. Unless you shrink the score down to the point where it is hard to see where your cursor is, you will only see, at best, part of the "next" line.

Cyril N. Alberga