Skip to main content
Topic: Using soundfonts in Composer (Read 3239 times) previous topic - next topic

Using soundfonts in Composer

Hi! :-))

I have searched recent archives for "soundfonts" (sic.), to no avail. Although I hope to use soundfonts to good effect in such applications as Cakewalk Audio Pro 9, it would be really nifty to be able to use them within the NoteWorthy Composer-and-Player arena, too.

I hope that somebody can point me to prior messages on this topic and that this question will elicit some detailed instructions for making soundfont pathces work nicely within the NoteWorthy product line.

In case it matters: My sound card is SB Live! 5.1.

Thanks!

-Steve Langford-

Re: Using soundfonts in Composer

Reply #1
Here is what I replied to a similar question on the ng (http://news://news2.ezusa.net/HjrAcgZLBHA.312@ezusa05.ezusa.net):

Load your sf's to empty banks using Audio HQ > Sound Font. Then note the
banks you installed the fonts and the patch number of the instruments
included in them. Go to NWC. Using either Staff Properties > Instrument or
Insert > Instrument, select your sf's bank at controller 0 and your
instrument from the list. You can change your list format to 0 based to
avoid confusion.

For a GM soundfont, try General User GS. It has amazing solo string and wind
patches, especially the solo violin is marvellous. I couldn't have
downloaded Music Man, yet. The server seems to be dead. tgsf99 -imho- sucks.

---

Her's my banks for a guidance:

#0 GUGS 1.3
#10 AWE Organ
#42 JEUX

Hth

Reply #2
It seems to be quite a bit of effort and trouble unless you are making permanent recordings for another medium (e.g. .wav). For everyday playback it would be nice to have a way of loading the correct sound fonts automatically when the song is played.

This does not seem feasible at present, but as a half-way-house is there a way of loading the fonts automatically at startup rather than doing each one by hand?

Peter

Reply #3
Steve, also visit the NWC Scriptorium.

I've just updated it to reply to this very question.
Hopefully it will help, and if you have any questions, let me know so I can improve it.

Peter, yes, I agree it would be handy to have happen automatically. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a standard "library call" that would work across the several different types of soundcards. It's a pretty poor effort on the part of the midi standard (something should be in place after so many years), but that's the midi standard.

Andrew