Skip to main content
Topic: Transposing for a Concert Band from a MIDI file (Read 3509 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposing for a Concert Band from a MIDI file

I am trying to arrange a midi file into a concert band part using Cakewalk. The only problem is trying to transpose the specific parts such as the trumpets which play a Major 2nd lower than concert pitch into their relevant parts. Someone told me that the whole midi file is at concert pitch but when i try altering the pitch of the trumpets a major 2nd lower, it sounds completely out of tune. I thought this was maybe because the file was already correctly transposed, but when i (primitavely) played the notes on the screen with my trumpet, along to the actual trumpet part they sounded different.
I know this is probably a simple/stupid question but i really need some help as i am completely stuck.

THANKS IN ADVANCE !!

Re: Transposing for a Concert Band from a MIDI file

Reply #1
For a start this forum is for Noteworthy Composer not Cakewalk! I can't comment on Cakewalk as I do not have it.
However if you open the MIDI in Noteworthy Composer then transpose the relevant staves (Tools|Transpose staff), there is an check box marked 'Update staff playback transposition' to make the playback sound the same as before - this is what you need to check to overcome your problem.
I hope this helps
Joy

Re: Transposing for a Concert Band from a MIDI file

Reply #2
For the trumpet:-
Select the Trumpet track in track view
From the menu - Mark > From Start - Thru end
Edit > Transpose +2 semitones.
In Track View set the Key column to -2.
The Staff view will show the trumpet at correct pitch but the playback will sound in concert pitch.

HTH