Skip to main content
Topic: NWC Browser Plug-In (Read 6271 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC Browser Plug-In

When I press the play button in my Browser Plug-In the score progress OK but does not produce any sound.

By the way the NWC works and sound perfect.

I have the last version 1.70.08 in both cases, and my browser is Internet Explorer 5.5 and the OS is Windows 98.

Any Idea where I have to check?

Re: NWC Browser Plug-In

Reply #1
You need to check two things:

1. Your MIDI Multimedia settings:

You do this from Start | Settings | Control Panel. In Windows 98, I think it is the Multimedia applet, the MIDI tab. Select the same device for play back that you use in NWC.

2. Check your volume settings in the Windows mixer. In the plug-in, this just means clicking the volume control.

Reply #2
Thanks Noteworthy, the solution was the number 1.

Reply #3
Thanks, sol. 1 worked for me either :)

Reply #4
>> 1 worked for me either

Marsu, if you don't mind: it's "too", not "either." "Either" with this meaning is idiomatic in negative statements only, as in "1 didn't work for me either."

Reply #5
Ah, yes. Proper English does not use double negatives. But proper French does. I believe that some other Latinate languages also use the double negative.

The idiom is difficult. "It worked for me, too" could be misinterpreted to mean that it worked excessively.

In English, there is no literate equivalent to the French disjunctive pronoun. French "C'est moi!" is literate, but English "That's me!" is not literate, even though it is said.

I mention this because the selective usage of idiomatic versus literate expression, in songwriting, seems to be quite an art form. In Edith Piaf's "La Vie en Rose," there a line, "Et ça m'fait quelque chose." The line (with its elision) makes sense to me when read, but for years I could not understand it when it was sung.

I first learned French several years ago. Other students were younger, and less literate. Many of them could not grasp the concepts of subordinate clause, relative pronoun, or subjunctive mood in French; the reason was that they did not grasp those concepts in English, either.

That's how "either" is used at the end of a sentence!

I still haven't figured out why the French use "plus" in the negative sense, as in "Plus de [la] grammaire!"

Reply #6
The "t" in "Y a-t-il" is added to avoid "hiatus" : two vowels that would follow.
Exception: the mute-h in "Les haricots sont cuits", though some people tend to say that the "h" should be ignored (which gives "lézaricots", awful)
"Y", as "u" in english, may be considered as not a vowel: "a_ uniform", but "a_N_ old car"; "Y a-t-il", not "Y-t-a-t-il".
Nevertheless NWC browser plug-in keeps on working fine, so bad I don't know how to make it go back to previous page when music is done!

Reply #7
If you're a Cockney then it would be "It didn't work for me, neither".

Quite wrong but worryingly common and commonplace.

Peter

Reply #8
what about of "it worked for me Neither"??
Because in fact, it didn't work. (I was in NWC, not in plug-in, but was a bit tired and didn't notice immediately)
I had to reinstall the plug-in to make it work. (the upgrade process does it well).
Now it works, finally, but I wasn't able to determine the reason why.

Thank you for the grammatical correction, too.
English(es) is(are) not easy to speak nor write, though I fear (good) french is quite hard too!! De facto only a few people use it correctly in France. Time accordance (? "concordance des temps") is rarely properly used; and the use of written words leads to some confusion: "plus de grammaire" can mean "more grammar" (if "plus" is said "plüS"), or "no grammar any more (or no more, if cockney/slang?)", if "plus" is said "plü"... Only the context can help there. Worse, because of use of SMS and email, some people use the "+" symbol to abbreviate "plus" in the "no more" meaning, which leads to confusion...
However, some rules of pronounciation(spelling?) don't change, and I still feel confident in making a program that would be able to hyphenate properly lyrics in french.

Reply #9
You could say "Neither did it work for me" when it didn't work and hadn't worked previously, but not "either did it work" when it did and had!

Reply #10
"It didn't work for me, neither," is not limited to Cockney English! I hear it (and use it) all the time (USA). I believe that the (n)either is an interpolation to prevent crashing vowels, the way that the French interpolatate (t) in "Y a-t-il [quelque chose]?"

In songs, the French occasionally pronounce mute-e, even though it would not be spoken. In English hymns, verbs ending in -ed ocasionally have it pronounced as a separate syllable.

But it is definitely incorrect, even in colloquial usage, to say "It worked for me, neither," to mean that it did not work.

Where I live, we often simply say "Works for me!" or in the past tense, "Worked for me!"

Reply #11
I didn't realize this topic would be of such great interest.

About "It didn't work for me, neither": in the parts of the U.S. where I've lived (Northeast and Midwest), this phrase would be considered quite unusual, bordering on substandard. Educated speakers wouldn't use it except in jest. If Robert hears (and says) this all the time, I suspect he comes from a different part of the country.

Reply #12
I have lived in various parts of the U.S. and Canada. As Grant notes, "It didn't work for me, neither" is substandard. Many colloquial expressions are substandard!

But now I live in California. Odds are about 40% that any person I meet speaks little or no English.

Substandard expressions are regional, and vary with time. Among the popular current expressions is "one of the only."

As far as I know, the expression "Me, too!" is used virtually everywhere in the English-speaking nations, rather than "I, also." Example: Who wants pizza for dinner? Reply from John: "I do!" Reply from Jane: "Me, too!" See my remark about the disjunctive pronoun in French.

I am pursuing this drift from the original topic because, from time to time, I encounter poor matches between lyrics and music in songs. The match would have been better had the composer substituted alternative lyrics (more literate, or less literate, as the case may be). Perhaps there are NWC song writers who know what I mean.

Reply #13
Robert,

I meant no disrespect. My purpose was only to correct what I thought was a likely misconstrual of your words, that that particular construction "didn't ... neither" was common and generally accepted in the U.S. My experience tells me this is not true.

I think, by the way, that you may be missing the distinction between colloquial and substandard (actually the gradations are much finer than this, but at least these two are distinguishable). "Me, too" is colloquial, but it's accepted as part of the spoken language by (AFAIK) essentially all educated speakers of American English. "Didn't ... neither", on the other hand, is colloquial but avoided by a large percentage of speakers, who would place it in roughly the same category as "ain't" or double negatives in general.

Reply #14
>>you may be missing the distinction between colloquial and substandard

... or maybe you're not. I think I'll quit now.

Reply #15
Gosh, I ain't offended nohow.

In Edmonton, Canada (ca. 1970) I was startled by the use of "same difference" to mean "all the same to me." For many years, in various places, I have heard "I could care less" to mean "I could not care less."

We also have this kind of exchange: Q: Should I turn left here? A: Right!

In French, "droit" and "tout droit" mean different things.

Carlos Fuentes (Mexican author, but writing in English) once explained that in Spanish, it is rude to use the direct command verb form. Instead, a polite form should be used (equivalent: "Would you do X?" rather than "Do X!") He then went on to explain that since the polite form became normal, it took on rude meaning, so that an even politer form was neceaasry. In turn, that acquired a rude meaning, so that a yet more polite form had to be invented. By then the circumlocution was grand. So, according to Fuentes, one starts out with the most polite request, but gets no cooperation. Then, one switches to a slightly less polite form, but gets no cooperation. When, at the end, the original direct command form still gets no cooperation, one resorts to swearing.

But alas, I deflected the thread from NWC Browser Plug-In to grammar. Mea culpa.

Reply #16
"I could care less" I understand - this started off as sarcasm. Just as we would say "Oh, what a great idea" sarcastically when we really mean "Oh, what a terrible idea", saying "I could care less" in a sarcastic way conveys the intended message, "I couldn't care less". At some point the expression lost its sarcastic edge, though, and without that it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The one I can't for the life of me figure out is the use, common in blue-collar Boston & environs (but AFAIK nowhere else), of what might be called the "negative of agreement." This induces people to say "So didn't I" or "So isn't your mother" when what they mean is "So did I" or "So is your mother". It's hard to see how sarcasm (or anything else) could explain this.

Reply #17
That reminds me...

SOCRATES: Plato, you have as many brains as a dog.

PLATO: Take that back! You know it's not true!

SOCRATES: Very well. Plato, it is not the case that you have as many brains as a dog.

Reply #18
One of my favourites - North American English is probably the only dialect in which "Fat chance," "Slim chance," and "No chance" have approximately the same meaning.

Reply #19
I believe that marsu would be delighted to inform us that "Ça existe" and "Ça n'existe pas" may have the same practical meaning.