Skip to main content
Topic: Editing Staff (Read 5233 times) previous topic - next topic

Editing Staff

I'm a new user, and I bet this is simple but I am stumped. I foolishly entered a piano piece on two separate staves and want to convert them into a grand staff. Long piece, I don't want to re-enter it. Thanks for any help.

Alex alubman@wvu.edu

Re: Editing Staff

Reply #1
This isn't so foolish. All you need to do is change the visual staff styles:

Choose Score Review (press R).

Double-click the right hand staff in the dialog box to change Staff Properties. Click on the Visual tab. Change the Style to Upper Grand Staff. Click OK.

Similarly, change the left hand staff style to Lower Grand Staff.

You probably will want any pedal markings to show only in the LH staff yet include the RH staff on playback. You can do this by assigning the same channel to both staffs. This is done through the Midi tab of the Staff Properties dialog box. If the staffs have different channels, then you'd have to enter pedal markings in both staffs.

Hope I've helped, Tim Reichard

Reply #2
Marginally quicker is:-

Right Click staff Left Click properties Select style

And remember you can always select an entire staff, and cut and paste it to a new staff, so there is no need to re-enter what you've already got!

Reply #3
Tim said <<You probably will want any pedal markings to show only in the LH staff yet include the RH staff on playback. You can do this by assigning the same channel to both staffs. This is done through the Midi tab of the Staff Properties dialog box. If the staffs have different channels, then you'd have to enter pedal markings in both staffs. >>

Tim! That's a brilliant little tip! I think that should go in user tips (unless it's already documented somewhere).

Andrew

Reply #4
Andrew writes: >Tim! That's a brilliant little tip! I think that should go in user tips (unless it's already documented somewhere).

It's a very helpful tip for piano scores.

One of the forum messages since April or so of this year either stated this pedal markings tip, or else said enough that I figured it out. I know that whichever message it was mentioned channels (possibly Andrew's "Re: Track Structure of Exported Files"?).

If anybody knows if the pedal markings tip (that I mentioned two levels up in this thread) is in this forum somewhere, please let me know. I'd love to submit it as a User Tip, but I don't want to take credit for it if I don't deserve it.

Thanks.

Tim Reichard <dennisr@postoffice.ptd.net>

If this message doubles, it's because submitting it the first time gave me a "Document contains no data" error.