Skip to main content
Topic: Help! (Read 7410 times) previous topic - next topic

Help!

Has anyone found that the Help facility is not particularly helpful.

Rather than explain how a feature is employed it merely confirms that the feature exists, and you have to experiment to find out how it actually works.

Not having a separate manual means demands a more useful Help system.

HELP!

Sorry, if all that sounds a bit tough :-)

Leonard

Re: Help!

Reply #1
You have my sympathy Leonard. I remember having similar problems getting started without any primers to help me. The "Getting Started" section is a good starting point, though.

Using Help's Search mechanism was useful, though using Win95's FIND is much better, as it will find any use of a particular word, not just index entries.

Cheers.

Andrew

Reply #2
My biggest problems stem from having instruments out for 16 bars, then another 8, etc. Spacing these so that they lay our right is giving me fits. The standard (for dance band music) is 4 bars across. That means that the default spacing sometimes leaves you with a pickup bar starting on the right edge of the page, which is visually unpleasing and also hard to read. I've tried added spaces with the text feature, but the bar lines don't line up then. At present, I can have my score, but I can't print parts from that without re-editing and cleaning up all the single bar rests. Any ideas?

Of course, I have to merge with a word processor to print instrument parts on the top left of the page, and to include Music/Lyrics/and Arranger credits on the right. This is tiresome, but at least it looks right.

Any tips appreciated.

Reply #3
I'm having trouble with the midi lingo. Been in music for a long time, but somehow the setup for midi just doesn't tell me anything. 1 good example of something that works would be better than throwing around terms that mean little. As far as midi goes, at least. I see the midi options, but I still can't set it up with out trial and error. Sorry about the blank message. My mouse spasm'ed out.

Reply #4
Kent said: <<I have an old sound blaster pro. ...all of the slick games out there put out really slick sound on my card, and I'm thinking "why can't I get that here where I really need it?" There must be a way. It has to be a better driver, because the games all come with proprietary drivers, and they sound great. >>

I think you're right about drivers. I'm not sure how the SBPro card works, but the AWE cards (Advanced Wave E... er.. Eccentricity?!) can load samples into the sound chip and play them like wave table chips. So you can have a chorus of chickens singing "In the mood" if you want.

HOWEVER, this is getting into proprietry (System Exclusive) formats which are much better dealt with by more MIDI specific sequencers.

BUT it would be great if NWC would allow us to include AT OUR OWN RISK arbitrary midi data ANYWHERE in a score. Maybe INSERT MIDI FILE... or something. and then we can take responsibility for System Exclusive stuff.

YET there are improved drivers for General midi.

You may wish to explore Cerative Labs Web site http://www.ctlsg.creaf.com/zonemenu.html Follow your nose down Tech | Drivers and look for the drivers appropriate to your card. Be warned! Sometimes they'll also have OLDER drivers!

WHAT COULD NWC DO ABOUT THIS GENERAL PROBLEM? In my opinion, it's not Noteworthy's fault if we have crappy General Midi cards. However, a list of up-to-date drivers which give the best sound for popular cards would be VERY HELPFUL.

Hope I helped.

Andrew

Reply #5
Most interesting... I've played In The Mood since 1960, yet I'd never really considered a chorus of chickens. Maybe a gaggle. Worth investigating. Do the AWE cards (or the soundblaster with a daughtercard) produce really nice midi sounds (like the aforementioned games?). Anyone know the answer to this? So far, I can't get Midi in to the card recognized, so I'm still in trial an error mode. Can get NWC to play the keyboard, but not the other way around. By starting the NWC32 version and going to the midi tab, trying to leave this area tells me that my midi device is not responding. I don't have a clue what's expected here. Why isn't it responding? How do I test for this?If a keyboard is plugged in properly and set up, should I be able to play the keyboard and hear it through the computer? Is it that simple when it's working right? And have I asked my limit of questions yet? Sorry, but this is frustrating. I bought a midi cable, but I can't even prove it works, let alone the keyboard midi out.

Reply #6
KD: Most interesting... I've played In The Mood since 1960, yet I'd never really considered a chorus of chickens. Maybe a gaggle.

Me: Ha ha! But seriously, there was a hit a while ago which was just that! Truely!

KD: Do the AWE cards (or the soundblaster with a daughtercard) produce really nice midi sounds (like the aforementioned games?).

AP: Mine does, but I'm using external midi. The AWE cards need the right driver, otherwise they'll probably sound like tinny FM synths.

KD: So far, I can't get Midi in to the card recognized, so I'm still in trial an error mode.

AP: Try playing a straight midi file from somewhere that traditionally worked for you, like MPLAYER, and make sure that works. Check your configuration for your card (I mentioned this in a Forum reply to Leonard very recently).

KD: Can get NWC to play the keyboard, but not the other way around.

AP: Make sure the input cable is plugged in! If you've got midi out working, then possible errors have already been greatly reduced! Next check that the Options|MIDI tab has Port Usage set for while active or Always (otherwise it can't READ the midi device at a useful time). Lastly, make sure that TOOLS|Midi Input Active is ... er... active. Really lastly, press a key and hope like hell.

KD: By starting the NWC32 version and going to the midi tab, trying to leave this area tells me that my midi device is not responding. I don't have a clue what's expected here. Why isn't it responding? How do I test for this?

AP: Hmm. This is for your internal midi, right? Sounds like the driver isn't working. Either that or another program was using the midi device.

KD: If a keyboard is plugged in properly and set up, should I be able to play the keyboard and hear it through the computer?

AP: If you have Echo midi input turned on. This is in Options|Record

KD: Is it that simple when it's working right?

AP: Yes.

KD: And have I asked my limit of questions yet?

AP: Yes. er. no

KD: Sorry, but this is frustrating. I bought a midi cable, but I can't even prove it works, let alone the keyboard midi out.

AP: Sounded like you had it going out to the kb okay. For both directions, you'll need two cables, won't you?

Regards,

Andrew

PS: Feel free to ask more questions! ;-)