Skip to main content
Topic: Mac version? (Read 9137 times) previous topic - next topic

Mac version?

I just read an article saying that any software can be bug free if it is only for one platform. The reason that bugs happen is multiplatforming and that software is no good unless I is usable on both platforms. I'm not saying that NoteWorthy is no good, but I think a Mac version would be nice....

Re: Mac version?

Reply #1
May I respectfully suggest that you choose different reading material?

I suspect that NWC's goal is to provide useful, bug-free software rather than to demonstrate multi-platform programming prowess.

Besides, there are some applications (particularly in multimedia) that run only on Mac.

Mac users can find existing music publishing software for them. Also, since NWC does not require the latest and greatest computing capability, many potential users who have Macs (perhaps some schools?) surely can lay their hands on an old PC somewhere.

Reply #2
BTW, there are now solutions to make Windows application run on a McIntosh. Some are cheap (BlueLabel), some are expensive (SoftWindows), i even believe some are free.
But in any case, you'll have to use MicroSoft software (in fact you emaulate a IBM-PC-compatible on which you run Windows). So you still may crash your Windows as usually; but you won't crash your Mac as often ;^)

Otherwise, if you say "any software can be bug free if it is only for one platform", why then do you want to make NWC run on more than one platform??

Moreover,I don't know about the writer of the article you read, but (s)he seems to ignore the "uncompleteness theory". Look for Gödel's therorem. A good book for this is "Gödel, Escher, Bach -- les Brins d'une Guirlande Eternelle" (Sorry, I do not know the english title, but you may find it easily.)

NWC is on Windows systems, it works quite fine, better than any µ$ Office application I know. Thanks Eric, keep up this good work!

And maybe in Mac OS X there'll be a new wy to make such softwares run on a Mac...
(there is one : run linux on your mac! ;)

Reply #3
Marsu wrote: "Gödel, Escher, Bach -- les Brins d'une Guirlande Eternelle"

In English: "Gödel, Escher, Bach -- an Eternal Golden Braid"

I'd like to see a French edition sometime. So much of Hofstadter's word play seems to me to verge on the untranslateable. It must have been a Herculean effort.

HTH

Reply #4
Including the play on the initials E, G and B in the title and subtitle

- which the French manages to preserve!

Reply #5
>I'd like to see a French edition sometime. So much of Hofstadter's word play seems to me to verge on the untranslateable. It must have been a Herculean effort.

Indeed! The subject of translating word play is covered in detail in the book itself. See the chapter which has and analysis of "The Jabberwocky" translated into both French and German. "'Twas brillig and the slithy tove, did gyre and gimble in the wabe".

A supreme master of the English language.

To tie this note back to the forum - has anyone ever used "Smut" (by Don Bird?), the music typesetting program used by Hofstadter and mentioned in GEB numerous times? The book is now more than 20 years old. When I first read GEB, I was intrigued as to what the program interface looked like. Since that was before bitmapped displays and WYSIWYG interfaces, I imagine it was text based. Does anyone know? Are any of the algorithms used in Noteworthy derived from academic research literature, such as papers published about "Smut"?