Skip to main content
Topic: Text - SATB and Piano brackets (Read 2163 times) previous topic - next topic

Text - SATB and Piano brackets

Can someone help me with a problem entering text. I would like to print out a piece for chorus. For the first appearance of each part I'd like those parts identified. How do I put an S before the soprano part, an A before alto, etc., and the word Piano before the piano accompaniment? Also, how do I get brackets around the piano part? After the first line, I'd like SATB and Piano to disappear.

Thanks.

Re: Text - SATB and Piano brackets

Reply #1
This is mostly under Staff Properties. Select your staff and choose Staff -> Properties. Under the "General" TAB enter the name, say "Soprano" or "S". You may also want to change the group, say "Voices".

For your piano part, as well as the name and group, go to the "Visual" tab and select style "Upper Grand Staff" for the right hand and "Lower Grand Staff" for the left hand. This will give you the brackets. Note that you can't not have a name for a staff, so you will probably have to label them "Piano RH" and "Piano LH" and live with two labels.

Placement of labels is controlled by File -> PageSetup. Under the "Options" tab you will find "Staff Labels". Choose "First System" to make the label appear once.

Re: Text - SATB and Piano brackets

Reply #2
Thanks, John, for the information.