Skip to main content
Topic: Newsgroup trouble (Read 6778 times) previous topic - next topic

Newsgroup trouble

Suddenly I find it impossible to connect to the Newsgroup server. Is there a general problem or is it just me?

Re: Newsgroup trouble

Reply #1
No you are not alone
They keep asking me a username and a password

Reply #2
I have been facing it, too. OE produces a "408 Authenticity Required" while Opera brings out a dialogue box asking for username and password. What's interesting is that the dialogue box includes a text message: "This news server _has_been restricted." So I suppose it's intentional.

However, I've asked Eric in private and been waiting for reply.

Reply #3
Me too !

Seems to be a problem we all are having. But there seem to be small periods of time where it's OK.

Rich.

Reply #4
I wonder if ezusa have silently pulled the plug on us?
I hope Eric will be able to find out. Unfortunately, short of driving to their office and walking in the door, one is restricted to phone calls to perhaps an answering machine, and e-mails. Neither guarantees a reply, and we all wait with bated breath. In the meantime, let's all have a cup of tea. ;-)

A

Reply #5
Quick straw poll.
Just saying that
1) ezusa have simply gone "private" and require a username and password, and
2) they provide Eric with one to distribute to us

Hands up who's newsreader CANNOT support passwords on newsgroups. (Just one reply per newsreader is sufficient, thanx). This may be a purely academic question, of course.

A

Reply #6
We don't know any more than the rest of you. Whatever happened, it is the whole news server, not just our group. Stay tuned...

Reply #7
At the moment, it seems that it will now let you connect to download but not to post.
Seems that there is a problem that they are perhaps in the process of resolving .

Fingers crossed

Rich.

Reply #8
It seems to be back up and running, with one caveat.

I just succesfully posted an item and then saw it on the group.

However -- just before I had looked and seen two threads, one the advice about the service pack, and one "test" thread. When I went back (with "show all messages" selected) both threads seemed to have vanished.

Cyril

Reply #9
Just to put down the period:

It's all up and running right now.

Reply #10
And down again! Could this be related to the DSL provider, Northpoint, going belly-up?

Cyril

Reply #11
But now it seems to be back down and not running again - OE reports: 408 Authentication Required

Reply #12
It is down again...This is outside of our control, but maintenance is sometimes required. I think patience is the best medicine in this situations...

Reply #13
I have never been able to access the newsgroup. It always takes a long time pretending to connect and the displays an error message stating the the server must be down. It may just be my internet service which tells you to set every server to the same proxy server except e-mail.

Reply #14
That may be a different problem. Unlike a lot of newsgroups, the NoteWorthy newsgroup is on a private server that your ISP may not give you access to. For example, I can't access the newsgroup from work because the people who maintain our firewall require all newsgroups to be on the company's own newsgroup server, which rules out private groups. I had a similar problem reaching the newsgroup from my sister's AOL account.

Reply #15
... this news just in: it appears to be working again. This is so much fun.

Reply #16
FranMan,

A possiblity is that it may be a matter of connection speed. Try increasing the time-out limit for the server, in your newsreader.

Hth

Reply #17
Yes I'm sure that the time-out limit is the problem. My modem being twice as slow as the 56k modem take a long time for everything. But how on Netscape Messenger could I change this limit? Is there a way to change it in the dial up networking folder? I downloaded Callwave and I think connection speed is the problem for it's software as well. Thanks for any help!

Reply #18
April 12.
Seems the news server is down again. Anyone else having this problem? (Error message follows).
Header download for the 'ntworthy.nwc' folder did not complete. Account: 'news.ezusa.net', Server: 'news.ezusa.net', Protocol: NNTP, Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Reply #19
The Noteworthy newsgroup was down on Mon 16th Apr (as well as the Logic audio one)
Roberto