Skip to main content
Topic: *.wav (Read 6235 times) previous topic - next topic

*.wav

HELP!!!! I NEED to hand in some vital coursework in 2 days and i was wondering if anyone knows how to convert *.nwc into *.wav or if it's even possible. I've got 1.70 running on Win ME

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: *.wav

Reply #2
... although to some observers the instructions therein might seem like overkill. There are, in fact, many ways to convert NWC files to WAV, the simplest of which, if you have a full-duplex sound card whose MIDI output you find acceptable, is simply to play the file in NWC through your card and record the card's output in a recording application. I use SoundForge, which came, I believe, with my sound card.

You might want to look at https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=850, which explores the topic in exhaustive (and perhaps exhausting) detail.

Reply #3
Remember that the quality of the WAV file depends upon the sound card software/hardware. If you have a choice of computers, create the output on the one with a better sound card or synth.

Reply #4
Grant - if you have any instructions on how to record MIDI to wave using the Yamaha XG synth that are any easier than the ones I posted, I would love to hear them.

Reply #6
Chris -- hrmmm strange, I'm using the Yamaha S-YXG100 on my machine and that method does not work for me. Maybe my shoddy sound card is not full-duplex after all.

Reply #7
Joe - Yes... I wonder if some cards are perhaps, for lack of a better word, "half-duplex". The softsynths, of course, tie up the playback wave device during use, but the recording device should be left open and available for use. It's interesting (and very ingenious!) that you could get it to work by using a multi-wave device client, so your method would, I'm sure, come in very handy for people with the same or similar setups.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to post a followup to your post specifying exactly what sound card on on-board chipset you have, so that others with the same setup can find the thread using the search facility.

Reply #8
There is also the consideration of stereo vs mono, 32/16/8 bit, etc. The SB64 uses 16-bit stereo playback, and with some effort you can record in 8-bit. Sounds like crap, though. Partly because of the 8-bit record, but mostly because the SB cards have really noisy circuits.

The Yamaha synth is immune because you are "recording" the wave information it generates to "play" the MIDI. The virtual cable is just a metaphor for taking the wave info generated by the synth and saving it to a file instead of (or in addition to) sending it to the sound card. In other words, no noise, loss, or distortion.

I use the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas. I had to pay $69 to get it, but it sounds better (I think) than the Yamaha. And, to convert MIDI to WAV all you have to do is open the MIDI file and click a button.