Skip to main content
Topic: Tie to Coda (Read 4433 times) previous topic - next topic

Tie to Coda

I'm trying to enter a piece that has a coda. The note before the To Coda command is tied to the following note, but not to the first note of the coda like I want. On playback the first note of the coda is resounded, but I want it to be tied and not resounded. Any suggestions?

Tim Reichard

Re: Tie to Coda

Reply #2
Here's the basic structure of the piece my question refers to:

1. A Segno sign appears before an opening master repeat bar line.

2. Then, several measures.

3. In the last half beat of the next measure, an eighth note on middle C with a tie.

4. Immediately after the eighth note, a "To Coda" flow direction.

5. Next, a bar line, and a whole note (middle C) tied to the previous eighth note.

6. Then, several more measures.

7. Then, a first ending bar with a closing master repeat bar line.

8. Next, a second ending bar followed by a few measures and then a "D.S. al Coda" flow direction.

9. A "Coda" flow direction followed by another whole note on middle C.

On playback, the eighth note before the "To Coda" command appears and sounds tied to the whole note of the following measure during the first two times it is encountered (no problem so far).

However, the third time through (after reaching the "D.S. al Coda" and repeating back to the "Segno" sign) the eighth note is to be tied to the whole note that begins the Coda. But this doesn't happen, neither visually or audioly; the whole note is resounded (rearticulated).

I want the whole note of the coda to be tied (not resounded) to the eighth note preceding the "To Coda" command on playback.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tim Reichard