Skip to main content
Topic: newbies wishlist (Read 2022 times) previous topic - next topic

newbies wishlist

Hi,
just got this progeramme and registered it immediately,great programme so far!
a couple of things id like to see - i put this in the wishlist form, but thought id see what others might think about this....
1) support for quintuplets, septuplets etc (this really is a drawback for me)...I gather several people would like this too. i saw some of the workarounds, but it would be really nice to have this accurately and easily done.

2) just an off the wall thing for us "contemporary" composers...it would be neat to have an inversion, retrograde, and RI feature: highlight a group of notes then hit "retro" and it will reverse the order of pitches (i.e., play it backwards) - the inversion would reverse the intervallic direction of pitches, and the RI would combine the two. great for tweaking little cells here and there...then all we need to do is adjust the rhythm in the new group.Probably pretty easy to do mathwise in terms of programming.

thanks! great work so far!
best,
sdb

Re: newbies wishlist

Reply #1
The inversion to a midi file can be done using MidExp available at the NWC Scriptorium.
It's written in Qbasic but there is a compiled version courtesy of Fred Nachbaur.

The retrograde was/is possible using an early version of a popular sequencer (it strolled out before Marie Antoinette could eat it).
The problem here is that you have to compile the midi in memory with decoded durations then work from the back to front to rearrange the stuff. A task with which I did not care to cope.
Perhaps this is a challenge for a programmer with better chops than me.