Skip to main content
Topic: Re WHY??? (Read 5701 times) previous topic - next topic

Re WHY???

Sorry, I lied. The notes still sustain without cease. Any more pointers?

Re: Re WHY???

Reply #1
Tying two notes with different accidentals is far and away the commonest reason for this symptom. (It doesn't have to be across a bar line; it just usually happens that way.) In fact, even if you've already checked for it, it's still the likeliest explanation. I suggest you look again. (And again. And again.)

If you have newsgroup access you might want to post the offending file there. No matter what the problem is, someone on the newsgroup is sure to discover it. Or click on my name above and send it to me, and I'll look at it and, if you want, post it to the newsgroup on your behalf.

- Grant

Reply #2
If you have an Midi editing program, such as "Cakewalk," a view of the Midi file in the keyboard mode will make it very obvious where the "cypher" or stuck note begins.

Carl

Reply #3
The most likely situation is in a measure in which an accidental occures near the beginning on, say C. Then the last note is also a C, but while it is affected by the accidental there is no sharp or flat sign directly in front of it. If it is then tied to a C in the next measure you will get the stuck note, even though the two notes look the same. To add to the confusion, once you add the accidental to the note in the second measure it, too, is invisible. The only way you can tell for sure is to select the notes in question (one at a time) and see if one of the accidental selectors in the tool bar is active.

Cyril

Reply #4
Also, check to see that there are no sustain pedal controllers on the track -- if you've forgotten to put the "Pedal Up" symbol in, the stustain pedal will remain active. Quite nasty! ;)

Reply #5
Much like the Cakewalk keyboard solution mentioned above, if you are using a midi sound module with a display (or Virtual Sound Canvas) you can look at the display and see which midi channel is sticking. My roland Sound Canvas unit has a display that makes this problem stick out like a sore thumb.