Skip to main content
Topic: Noteworthy versus Passport Designs (Read 7543 times) previous topic - next topic

Noteworthy versus Passport Designs

I use Passport Designs notation but recently using Noteworthy demo and really impressed. Does anyone have any comments on advantages of Noteworthy. I am almost sold on it and would like opinions before I commit. Thanks from Brian.

Re: Noteworthy versus Passport Designs

Reply #1
I also have used Passport Designs and I recently tried Noteworthy.
I must say that the interface is excellent and so much better than
that of Passport's. I will be using NoteWorthy Composer from now on.

Reply #2
I use Encore from Passport Designs, but they are are out
of business. So, I am looking for a replacement. I have a
Macintosh computer and was wondering if you plan on
making your software available on the Mac.

Thanx,
Ron Belanger

Reply #3
We do not offer a Mac version of NoteWorthy Composer.

Reply #4
I use NWComposer since 1995 (or 94?). What I can tell you about it is that you can easily make scores from scratch or for copy, even compose directly with it, make sing-along midi files (for help-learning tools), and all of this really quickly, easily, and happily.
Some features doesn't exist (yet ;-)) but NWC is continuously enhanced (I registered my copy when it started to allow lyrics notation --just at the time I needed this feature). It is not (yet) a perfet, complete score notator, cannot do every thing that a sequencer does (though I do not need any sequencer since I use NWC (reading music is so much simpler!).
And NWC is WYSIWYH (H=Hear). Not WYSIWYPrint, but better : you do not have to take care about page layout for each and every score. The same file can be used to print a "conducteur" (all scores with all staves) or solo part, just a few keystrokes (or clicks) are enough.

PDNHTCM if you need some more comments.

Marsu

Reply #5
I composed a number of songs in Musictime 1.2, and exported them into MIDI files with the export feature. However, when I attempted to play them on Win95 PCs, the setup is lost and the parts sound like tin cans.

I subsequently spoke to Guitar Center in Hollywood, CA, who informed me that the problem is that Musictime 1.2 loses some system file that must be maintained if it is to play properly on a Win95 setup. They also said, that Musictime Deluxe should solve my problem, since it works in Win3.1 or 95 invironments.

So, the problem has become finding a copy of Musictime Deluxe (3.5 disk version). Of course, with Passport out of biz, you know the rest.

Can you help me find a copy of Musictime Deluxe?

Reply #6
Am unable to get to Passport Designs. Need some help on ENCORE 3.0. How does one enter the lyrics of the song after the song is notated?

Please help

Thanks

Reply #7
Import to NWC, Edit/Lyrics, type in the lyrics.

Reply #8
Lowell said: "Of course, with Passport out of biz, you know the rest."
I didn't know passport was out of biz. So, what's the rest?

A

Reply #9
I have been using Encore for a couple of years now on my Mac, and although I am very happy with it generally, I find that after using it for a short time (maybe ten minutes) the screen freezes, so that if I do not save each line of my work, I lose it. Anyone else had this problem? any suggestions.

Reply #10
I would not be very happy with software that hangs every ten minutes.

Reply #11
so Blair, youmust be happy with some µ$ products that freeze every 30 minutes :-)

Reply #12
I have been using Encore v. 4.2 and cannot get the program to write the music as I play it on my keyboard. I have the MIDI cable set up such that I can play music from Encore to the keyboard. The record setup has a SB 16 Audio In device driver listed. This driver is actually for audio recording. Since Passport Designs is out of business or may be bought by MidiSoft this year, what do I do? Buy another program such as NoteWorthy? Thanks!

Reply #13
My µ$ products last a little longer than 30 minutes. Noteworthy, on the other hand, has never let me down. On the issue of switching from another product, Noteworthy is cheap, easy to use and reliable, but it may not give as much control over the printout as the other product can do, as you can see by reading this forum. So the question is what do you really need? Some people with demanding printing requirements find it easier to use Noteworthy and patch up the output with a paint program than to use other software. There are a lot of very satisified customers, such as myself.

Reply #14
I've been using Encore for years, especially in writing scores by Step-Time. Since Passport Designs is out of biz, I would need advice if NoteWorthy Composer can also do Step Time as good and easy as Encore does? What about NWC printing result? Thanks.

Reply #15
What kind of device (soundcard-synthesizer?)can I use with Noteworthy that playsback with realistic sounds from instruments of an orchestra? I'm not impressed with the cheesy sounds most midis produce or its control of dynamics.
I would like to hear a real cello section, collengo on violins, a Bartok slap included in my orchestrations. Am I just complaining or are there really devices like that out there that can give me a quality orchestra?

Reply #16
Tall order... especially things like col legno... In a word, the answer to your question is "no." But if you're willing to do a little (or a lot) of fiddling around (pun intended) you may be able to approximate some of these effects using a good DB50XG-based sound card, or perhaps the software equivalent "XG SoftSynth."

The next step beyond that would be something like Turtle Beach, but I'm not sure if the greatly increased cost would result in a comparable increase in sound quality / flexibility.

One difficulty with high-end cards is that though you can make it sound great in your living room, it won't necessarily sound anything like that when you e-mail it to your friend or post it on the web.

Fred

Reply #17
I remember the commodore and the old 24 track passport designs soft wear that used to loop and hang on a pitch and not let go, back in the 80's Basically it was a good program and I enjoyed using it. Korg poly 800. Casio CZ 1000 midi in and out, no thru in those days. Polyphonic was new. I had bought a Moog synth but it was mono. I sold it and bought the new polyphonic with 4 voices, then they developed a better microprocessor that would give you 8 voices.The notation softwear was out of my price range. Sweetwater Sound in South Bend used to sell a lot of it.Later I bought a sound librarian for my CZ1000 from passport designs. They had a monopoly going for a while. 1985-2005 the technology is almost there now. Its still got some bugs and the price is high. Hopefully the price will drop low enough for the home hobbiest.

Reply #18
I love noteworthy because you actually write notes instead of blocks like in other programs :)