Skip to main content
Topic: Forum User E-Mail address (Read 5084 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum User E-Mail address

Many forum users do not include their E-Mail address in their submission.

I have answered several queries directly. I find direct contact preferable to submitting to the forum because of the length of my explanations and attachments of NWC files to illustrate my reply. It would be nice to be able to attach NWC song files to forum replies. "A picture is worth a thousand words". What say, Eric?

I would suggest to forum users that they include their E-Mail address on all submissions. They could also state in their message if they would or would not want a direct reply.

The forum serves a valuable purpose in bringing NWC users together and my suggestion is intended only improve the communication between NWC users.

I would like to see comments in the forum and in E-Mail messages to me.

Thanks for listening!!

Re: Forum User E-Mail address

Reply #1
I may be the guilty party, initiating this thread. I never noticed the absence of e-mail addresses, sorry.

Speaking of attachments. When Mr. Furgason exchanged missives with me I found, to my dismay, that the mailer I am using, Netscape 3.1 Mailer, sorely mishandles NWC file, attempting to attach them as text, the result being gibberish, at best. I was successful in sending NWC files only after ZIPing them. Is this a known problem with Netscape, or do I have some private glitch?

Reply #2
A keen forum listener, here.

I'm wondering if we should move to a (moderated, or perhaps even unmoderated) newsgroup, or mailing list.

Then attachments are handled by the mail program, we can organise what we want to keep. If it were a mailing list, I would only suggest that the list be echoed onto the forum somehow, that the list be kept private (easiest done if maintained by nwc), and there is a very easy way of adding your name to the list and enquiring if you are on the list from the website.

Regards,

Andrew ($0.02 worth) Purdam

Reply #3
Here are a couple of points that I can contribute:

- We do not currently plan to support file attachments via this forum technology. We may in the future provide a different forum technology that would make this possible, but for now the text only mode is all that we make available.

- As for e-mail addresses, I would recommend to potential posters that an email address is included. If someone feels that they do not want to share an e-mail address (for privacy reasons or whatever), the risk is that a complete answer may not be forthcoming. We leave this decision up to the poster, which I think is the most appropriate approach.

- Lastly, regarding e-mail attachments for NWC files. It is important that the attachment be binary encoded. If an NWC attachment is not handled properly by the mailer, you can try either encoding the file yourself (tools still exist to do this manually), or try zipping the file, as the *.ZIP file type may be handled better by the mailer. This has the added advantage of making the file smaller as well.

I hope this helps. ---- Eric (support@noteworthysoftware.com)

Reply #4
The idea of a moderated newsgroup sounds interesting. Especially if there is some means to maintain a sort of file archive where composers can post works that are in progress for comments and suggestions.

Don´t forget to mail me when it is in the air...

Jan Hjelm

Reply #5
One thing I would like, if we went this way, (of using a newsgroup) would be for ntworthy.com to be available as a worldwide newshost for that newsgroup (I'm sure it can be done, though ISPs with firewalls may prevent such a thing).

The reason is that news is notorious for

i) delayed propagation (taking several days to reach all corners of the Internet)

ii) non-propagation (news items may expire before they are delivered)

iii) huge amounts of spam in unmoderated groups, though this is contained mainly to the alt.* newsgroups, which don't have a charter.

A mailing list would be easier and more reliable in this effect, though Noteworthy may wish to somehow feed into something more public (maybe simply an archive on the web) for better PR.

Both methods allow attachments. Maybe a mailing list would be more inclusive of AOL members. (I'd still love to see the AOL archive of nearly 2000 NWC files!!!)

To let users get "in" to a mailing list from the web simply needs a fairly easy web-form that mails the user's e-mail address to the list manager (human or robot) which then verifies it and adds it to the list. By using a verified list as the only allowed posters, we can avoid a fair bit of spam.

Hope this is food for thought,

Andrew (2-cents) Purdam

Reply #6
A voice of concern over converting the forum to a usenet group.

When absolutely needed (i.e. no other options), I will go to usenet groups for information. In the past I have found that platform (1) to be cluttered by bunch of chatter by a limited number of individuals and/or (2) impacted by occasional flaming.

Conversely, I have been impressed by the helpfulness, courtesy and professionalism displayed in the NWC "web-based" forum platform. I wonder if part of quality reflects that the platform invites something more cogent than chatter?

In any event, I am not sure of others' experiences with usenet, but would be personally concerned with a change in format if "in lieu of" the current forum. If folks wanted to create a separate usenet group, certainly that may be possible. Additionally, it would seem that one could request an email address in the forum for more personalized deliveries and attachments if that information is not provided.

Again, simply a concern and input. Steve Pearson

Reply #7
I disagree with all of the above for reasons of money. Here in UK we are charged horrendous amounts for telephone calls. Using Internet Mail (or any other which allows downloading and off-line reading) shortens the amount of time actually connected to an ISP and hence reduces my telephone bill.

I'm all for converting to a USENET Newsgroup. I would definetely subscribe.

Reply #8
This is a Noteworthy Test!