Skip to main content
Topic: Alesis QS7 keyboard & recording (Read 5834 times) previous topic - next topic

Alesis QS7 keyboard & recording

I am a new NWC user, who is trying to get it to accept input from an Alesis QS7 keyboard. We bought the Alesis cable to go from the back of the QS to the DB25 connection on the back of the Pentium computer. As I understand that, it doesn't really go through a soundcard at all. Is that why I am having such trouble trying to get NWC to recognize notes from the Alesis? Playback works great through the Alesis, but I can't seem to get NWC to record from it. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Alesis QS7 keyboard & recording

Reply #1
In Tools --> Options --> Record you need to select the input device. This is in a pull-down box which shows all your available devices. One of them should say something like "[your sound card] MPU-401" or "... MPU Midi In" or something to that effect. This is the midi input via the 25-pin joystick/midi port on your soundcard.

If still no go, check your keyboard's manual to insure that you have it set to output midi signals via its MIDI OUT jack. Try turning LOCAL on / off, that really shouldn't matter but it's something to try.

Finally - the obvious - you've got the MIDI IN of the cable connected to the MIDI OUT on the keyboard?

HTH,
Fred

Reply #2
This sounds more like a "To Host" cable than a MIDI cable. For those that do not know, many keyboard manufacturers have added direct serial port access to their MIDI functions. This eliminates the need for a full MIDI setup on the computer. Normally, PC "To Host" cables are DB9 female on the PC end, and DIN 8 on the keyboard end, and are based on RS-232C serial port communication to and from the PC. The pertinent HOSA cable can be seen here:

http://www.hosatech.com/DBK100.html

The keyboard in question does support a "To Host" serial connection:

http://www.alesis.com/products/qs71/

Chris, if this is news to you, you probably want to take a little time to review your Alesis documentation and learn about this connection. I assume Alesis documents this port and its capabilities. If you don't find detailed information on this aspect of your Alesis keyboard, here are some things you need to consider when setting this system up:

- you must have the proper serial cable connected between your PC and the Alesis

- if this is a secondary PC serial port, you should make sure that it is enabled (usually set in the PC bios)

- you need to install the Alesis serial driver for this connection: http://www.alesis.com/downloads/software/serial_driver/

Once this is done, according to the Alesis web support page, the new driver for this serial port will be named "Alesis Serial MIDI Driver Out" within the system. You should be able to select this in NWC from Tools | Options | Midi.

Reply #3
Upon reviewing your original post, I see that you indicate that play back is already working. If this is the case, then it is likely that your serial port is functioning and you have the necessary MIDI driver installed. When setting up record in NWC, you need to:

- select the correct input device driver from Tools | Options | Record

- set Tools | Options | Midi | Port Usage to either "While Active" or "Always"

- open an editor window

- activate Tools | MIDI Input Active

- press and release a key on the MIDI keyboard

If you do not see a note show up in NWC, then the note was not received by NWC. This usually implies a setup problem, either on the PC or in tyhe keyboard. You should first check your Alesis docs to see if MIDI output (from the keyboard to the PC via the serial cable) is controlled somewhere in its setup as an optional capability. If you are sure this is setup right, then it would probably be a good idea to check the driver setup configuration, as described in the help text.