Skip to main content
Topic: Entering Notes - whats the best way to do it ? (Read 7563 times) previous topic - next topic

Entering Notes - whats the best way to do it ?

Hello all,

i would like your opinion: Most of the time i 'type over' sheetmusic in NWC. Now i do that as follows: i bring all the notes in as a quarter or an eight note and afterwards by selecting with the mouse i change that note to its wright tempo. Is there a better way ??

Also: inputing 3 notes in one and if one is a half note and the other 2 are quarternotes i just cant get these notes all three in. NWC changes the duration of the hal;f note every time.... ;((( Any idea how to do this ?

Answering via e-mail too is appreciated.

Thanx!!

Ray

Re: Entering Notes - whats the best way to do it ?

Reply #1
I find that entering notes with their correct durations and accidentals is the fastest way for me, especially using the keyboard to select durations and accidentals. I ignore articulations, dynamics, pedal markings, etc. and add them afterward. I do enter clefs, tempos, and time and key signatures as I go so that I can playback the piece every so often.

When entering chords of notes of different durations, stick to two durations and select them (include dots or double dots) before pressing Enter or Ctrl+Enter.

Also, the notes of one duration must all be above or below the notes of the second duration. Eg., in a chord of quarter notes and half notes, the quarter notes must all be above or below all of the half notes. You can't enter a half note between two quarter notes. To get around this you can enter the half note as a quarter note in the chord and tied to another quarter note. This fix can also be applied to needing three or more durations in the same chord.

I hope I've helped.

Tim Reichard

Reply #2
I stand corrected.

Don Ferguson pointed out to me through e-mail with an example that indeed you can enter a note of one duration between notes of another duration all in the same chord.

Thanks, Don. It looks like I haven't figured out all that one can and can't do with NWC.

Tim Reichard

Reply #3
I stand corrected.

Don Ferguson pointed out to me through e-mail with an example that indeed you can enter a note of one duration between notes of another duration all in the same chord.

Thanks, Don. It looks like I figured out all that one can and can't do with NWC.

Tim Reichard

Reply #4
Awww, Tim (or Don)! Please do tell us how!

A

Reply #5
I haven't played with this much, but here's an example:

1. Place a quarter note on a staff with stem down. 2. Add a half note (stem up) as a chord member above the quarter note. 3. Add another quarter note (stem up) above the half note. or 3. Add another half note (stem down) below the quarter note.

You should now have a chord of a half note between quarter notes or vice versa.

You may notice that both step-3's won't both work simultaneously.

Experimentation may yield countless other possibilities.

Thanks again to Don Ferguson for enlightening us on this topic.

Tim Reichard