Skip to main content
Topic: Leaving no trace (Read 5305 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaving no trace

Hello everyone!
I would like to use my spare time at work to compose a little. However, due to regular inspections by the systems department, I would uninstall NWC right after using it, saving my files on floppy. It seems an easy task, but I'd like to be sure the program leaves no trace, you know, at the start menu or when going to the set up/ add-remove program section, after uninstalling it. Is there anyway to get caught, considering they don't monitor it from a remote machine? Can I compose and get away with it? Please, don't throw petty morals on me, just answer. THANKS!!!

Re: Leaving no trace

Reply #1
NoteWorthy Composer is one of the few programs that cleans up after itself effectively, without deleting any files that have been added or modified since installation. Any files that you create on the hard drive (even if in the NWC directories) will not be removed. So it's not even necessary to save your work on floppy, though of course it's a good idea just in case something goes wrong. OTOH, if you do create any files on the hard drive, you will have to manually remove them.

It also removes its registry entries, in case you fear someone poking around with regedit. The one file I know of that it leaves behind is nwrgstry.ini in the Windows directory. This remembers you as a registered user when, for example, uninstalling in order to install a new version.

Reply #2
If you're using a network machine, they can monitor just about anything if they want to. Even w/o a network, they can be tracking everything from on time to keystrokes, if they so desire. It depends on the resources of your IT dept.

Reply #3
Get back to work!

Reply #4
LOL
I actually work on a laptop that I plug in myself and has nothing to do with the network. It is a small company, nothing compared to when I used to work at Nasdaq. Anyways, Fred's post gave me an idea, but I'd like to make sure whether the legend Note Worthy Composer remains at the Add/Remove Programs function in the settings area.

Reply #5
You're Fired! Turn in your laptop. But first show me how to use this NWC thingy. I want to be a composer, too.

Reply #6
Apparently NWC leaves something in registry, as when you install it again it will already have your name and NWC registration information.

I am not sure if it removes the NWC font from the C:/Windows/Fonts folder. You will have to check.

You can work your files from a floppy, instead of saving them in Samples folder. This is fine, as NWC files are very small, especially now that they are compressed. In fact, if you drop them into Winzip, or some other compression program, you will get no further compression. Most of my NWC music files are around 2K-3K now. So you can put everthing you could write in the next 1o years on one floppy!

Reply #7
It knows about your registration not because of any registry entries it leaves around, but because of a file it leaves in the Windows directory. To quote Fred from earlier on this page:

"It also removes its registry entries, in case you fear someone poking around with regedit. The one file I know of that it leaves behind is nwrgstry.ini in the Windows directory. This remembers you as a registered user when, for example, uninstalling in order to install a new version."