Skip to main content
Topic: Where to sell my sheet music online? (Read 3462 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to sell my sheet music online?

I checked out net4music.com and it said, "and we pay you 40% of the sale price." And I yelled out: "No, I don't think so." There's no way those punks are going to get more than half of the profit from my work. Are there any sites that ask a decent fee, say 10 or 15%?

Re: Where to sell my sheet music online?

Reply #1
Out of curiosity... If your sheet music were published as hard copy and sold via music stores off-the-shelf, what percentage of the sale price would you get?

Reply #2
If you get 40% of the sale price, that's a heck of a good deal. If you were to go through regular publishing avenues, you would be lucky to get %5 of the sale price. Remember the sale price is NOT all profit. Out of the portion they keep, publishers have to pay all their expenses to market the product, pay their overhead, pay their employees, etc.

Reply #3
Perhaps the publishers could cut their overheads by posting lead sheets as electronic images either in a common format (pdf for example) or in a form that could be imported into a inexpensive notator like NWC (possibly in NIFF format if NWC supported that).
That way the publisher would reduce printing, shipping and warehouse/retail storage costs.
The product would be easily accessible and wouldn't require a user to purchase a whole book of songs just to get one lead sheet.
That way everyone wins - the composer could get a higher %, overheads are reduced and the end users only pays for what is required.