Skip to main content
Topic: Resolution (Read 5712 times) previous topic - next topic

Resolution

When I import a midi file to Noteworthy 1.31d, the program asks for note and rest resolution. Can anybody provide a simplified answer to what note and rest resolutions are?

Re: Resolution

Reply #1
The note resolution should be set to roughly the smallest note length that will typically occur in the song. If you are importing a slow waltz, you would probably want a larger duration here, like 8th or 16th notes. It also depends on the source materials accuracy. If the MIDI file was machine generated (by some other composition program), then this value can be made to a smaller duration and still yield good import results. In general, smaller values yield more complicated scores using lots of small notes.

The rest resolution value should be set to as large a vlue as you think that you can stand. This will allow NWC to minimize the number of rests that appear in the song, thus keeping the note density down. If you make this a small duration, NWC will make such things as 32nd rests in the middle of a note run, which most players would rather not see or attempt to play (because performance of short rests are more of a "feel thing" at that speed anyway).

My best advice is to experiment until you get the best possible results.

I hope this helps. ---- Eric (support@noteworthysoftware.com)