Skip to main content
Topic: Multi note passages (Read 7462 times) previous topic - next topic

Multi note passages

Can I use 7 tuplets (7 notes in one beat) in Noteworthy?

Re: Multi note passages

Reply #1
You can approximate multiplets such as septuplets by using more complex rhythms that are close. I'll assume you want seven notes to a quarter note. I'll try to describe a method for approximating: There are 16 64th notes to the quarter note. Divide by 7--you get 2 64th notes (a 32nd note) seven times, with 2 64th notes left over. This means you will have seven 32th notes with two of them tied to a left-over 64th note. It's good to spread out the remaining 64th notes. This gives you this rhythm: 32nd, dotted 32nd (32nd tied to 64th), 32nd, 32nd, 32nd, dotted 32nd, 32nd. I hope this has made sense. Sometimes you can split the quarter note down to 128th notes for more accuracy. Although NoteWorthy doesn't support 128th notes, somtimes it will work out with dotted 64th notes, as it does in this case. There are 32 128th notes to the quarter note, and dividing by 7 gives you 4 128th notes tied together (a 32nd note) seven times, with 4 128th notes left over. The rhythm is then dotted 64th tied to another 64th (a 32th note tied to a 128nd), 32nd, dotted 64th tied to 64th, 32nd, dotted 64th tied to 64th, 32nd, and another dotted 64th tied to 64th. These rhythms can get compicated as you can see, and they will look nasty in print, but they work very well for audio purposes.

If you aren't concerned with printing music, then you could just place 7 16th notes in a 7/16 bar and adjust the tempo accordingly so that they will play at the correct speed. For example, a one 16th note septuplet at 120 bpm could be played as normal 16th notes at 120 bpm * 7/4 = 210 bpm. The 7/4 factor is 7 notes in the time of 4. This way is simpler rhythmically and more accurate.

I hope this hasn't confused more than helped. Multiplets are on the wish list, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Tim Reichard

Re: Multi note passages

Reply #2
Firstly, I must commend Tim on his wonderful reply! If I ever need it that accurate (say in a slow piece), I'll keep it in mind.

Shame that NWC workarounds always end up complicated!

A quick and dirty workaround for fast music is to just approximate with (say) 4 x 64th notes plus a triplet of 32nd notes which altogether add up to one eight note.

This is much more legible on the page, too, though still not as nice as [______7______] (which, by the way, is a textual approximation that you may wish to consider, using the TEXT object, only problem would be obliterating the triplet's "[3]").

So if you're going for audio accuracy, try Tim's method, otherwise you may wish to consider this one for reading ease.

Sometimes the best thing to do for readers is use the good ol' white out!

Andrew