Skip to main content
Topic: SUSTIAN PEDAL SCREWS TIES ON OTHER STAVES (Read 2808 times) previous topic - next topic

SUSTIAN PEDAL SCREWS TIES ON OTHER STAVES

I am restoring a MIDI file that was awful in creation. I have it about 80% correct now. I wanted to change something: A HARP part. The part I wanted to change was with a sustain pedal marking. In the part it is a nice up and down arpeggio pattern. Also in the area several ties were in other staves. When I put the PEDAL DOWN feature in the staff it cut all the ties in half! Only half of the tie would play, leaving non-tied parts hanging in the silence. It did that to all ties in the piece equal or greater than quarter tied to half, in 4/4 time. I then deleted the pedal mark and it STILL did that and left the pedal on! I closed the file without saving and opened it again. (I had saved it in NWC format for editing)IT STILL DID IT! HOW DO I FIX IT?? If you know E-MAIL why to me. My adress is siamesecat00@xoommail.com.

Re: SUSTIAN PEDAL SCREWS TIES ON OTHER STAVES

Reply #1
It's quite possible that the creator of the midi didn't want anyone to "reverse engineer" it by importing into a sequencer. (We have our ways... )

The only way I know of that something on one staff can affect what happens on other staves is if the same midi channel is assigned to two different staves. Might be something to check out.

Reply #2
It is also possible that the use of the sustain pedal is creating more demand for "voices" than the sound card is capable of delivering. This would cause things like note drop outs, where the overall sustain of notes is shortened in order to meet the demand from new notes just starting to play.

Reply #3
I hate that. It's happened to me many-a-time. There's a limit to "polyphony" (how many notes can ba played at one time), so you might have too many notes playing during the ties.