Skip to main content
Topic: Accents marks for two voices on one staff (Read 3659 times) previous topic - next topic

Accents marks for two voices on one staff

Okay, I've got two soprano lines on one staff, differentiated to indicate Sop I and II with up and down stems.

But I can't seem to figure out how to put an accent on beat one that doesn't get buried in the staff. Ideally I think the accent should go on the very top of the staff, but it will only put it in the middle.

I can't combine the two voices so that they share the same stem because the firsts are singing a dotted quarter note and the seconds are singing a half note.

Any resolutions to this?

Re: Accents marks for two voices on one staff

Reply #1
1. use sf
2. Enter accents as text, using ">", and place them wherever you wish. Accents should go outside the staff, not within the staff where NWC places them.

Reply #2
I also noticed a bug in 1.70 along the same lines.

When I have an up-stem note and a down-stem note together, and place a marcato (underscore) on it, it's invisible. Delete the down-stem note and the marking magically appears,
under where the down-stem note used to be.

As a workaround I did an "insert text" of a real underscore and set the location to be conjoint with the following note, but I shouldn't ought to have to do that. Plus, it puts extra space before the note where I added the manual marking.

- seb

Reply #3
>>Plus, it puts extra space before the note where I added the manual marking.

Only in the Edit view. If you look at Print Preview you'll see that the space disappears. (NWC has to leave a little extra room in Edit for the gray diamond that represents the text item for selection and editing.)

Reply #4
I still can't get it to go directly over the note. The problem is, because the first sopranos are singing a different rhythm, I have had to place a slightly different lyric above the staff. Consequently, I can't get the lyric and the "text accent" to line up with one another so that they will appear ON the beat, rather than before or after or both.

Reply #5
Assuming that you're using V1.70 -- when you enter the text accent > select the "Expression Placement" tab. Click the "Preserve Width" box OFF. Set Justification to CENTER. Set Alignment/Placement to "At next note/bar". That should fix it up for you.