Skip to main content
Topic: Alto Sax Range (Read 16096 times) previous topic - next topic

Alto Sax Range

I am currently orchestrating a show for production in October and I have included an Alto Sax part. I have nearly finished my work, but then suddenly I realised I did not know how high or low an alto sax could go.
Please could someone tell me what is the lowest note it would be able to play and its highest.
And finally..... When you use the transpose function I know for an Alto Sax you transpose it by 9, but is it up 9 or down 9?

Re: Alto Sax Range

Reply #1
The written range for the Alto Sax is from the Bb below middle C to the F# above high C. Keep in mind that the lower notes will be harder for some players to play and also out of tune.

As far as transposing, you should set it to -9, making the G on the first space above the staff sound like a Bb on the staff.

-joe

Reply #2
Further to Joe's helpful advice, the Compasses.zip file at the Scriptorium is a very useful piece of kit for any composer not familiar with instrument ranges. It would be well worthwhile downloading it, Daniel.

Eamonn

Reply #3
To add to Joe's response....

If you are writing for younger players, then F natural above high C is the highest note in the normal range of the horn. Generally, only higher quality/pro-model horns have a high F sharp key. Also, Selmer (and possibly others), did make some altos many years ago with a low A key. Finally, the range for all saxophones can be extended about one octave above the normal range through the use of altissimo fingerings. Some advanced saxophone literature does make use of the altissimo range, but I would suggest only using it when one knows that the intended players are quite well-trained.

Reply #4
Thank you to all those who sent info to help me.
What is SYSOP??

Thanks again

Reply #5
SYStem OPerator -- that is, the owner of the forum site. Messages are generally only removed if they are inappropriate to the discussion at hand.

Reply #6
Thanks for all of your help. Next problem. I have written the part out now but I have written it for an instrument in C (eg flute) do I transpose +9 or -9 so it is written for an Eb instrument.
Thanks!

Reply #7
For Alto Sax +9 to written pitch (should sound -9 lower than written pitch).

Reply #8
Thanks for your reply. Next and last question before I submit my orchestrations I promise!

Please could you let me know what the highest and lowest note the sax could play when written as an instrument in c (eg a flute)

Thank You

Reply #9
It is best to stay within the range of the staff. This is the best approach because in the lower range the sound gets increasingly flatter so you need to have professional (experienced) musicians to work in this area for good results. For the higher notes it's a similiar issue: they notes become increasingly more difficult to control. That's not to say that your work is too hard to play, it's just that you don't want a performance to go not so good because many of the instrument parts weren't written in their best (optimum) range. It basically comes down to two things:
1. what is the purpose of your composition? Is it a clarinet concerto? If so keep the difficulty to this part and let the rest of the orchestra take it easier.
2. who is going to play your work? if they are your band members and you know how good they each are write a little above what you know they can do. If it's for a school orchestra keep it easy and don't ask for instruments like harps and things they won't have. make it easy and fun.
Writing material more difficult than it needs to be can spoil a piece - this is mostly related to your accompaniment. For example, the piano part for a choral piece is usually quite rudimentary because the focus is on the choir.

Reply #10
Amen to all that Johnti.
Here's a quote from Bill Russo in his book "Composing for the Jazz Orchestra" - I keep it in mind whenever I score a chart.

"Technically, it is always better to err on the side of simplicity than on the side of complexity.
Music which is beneath the technical level of the musicians will be played well.
Music that is the slightest bit too hard may not be played at all!"

As an Alto/Baritone player I totally agree with your comments.
Alto and Tenor written in the 2 octaves D to D"
on the parts is a safe bet.
For Baritone the lowest notes on the horn are safe (Bb or A as the case may be) but I hesitate to write above the staff unless Bari is doubling the lead or you only have 3 saxes.
It sounds so much better in it's characteristic low octave.

Reply #11
Daniel - I didn't answer your question with my last reply.

Alto (range in concert pitch)
Range Db4 - Ab6 Safe 2 octave range F4 - F6

Tenor (range in concert pitch)
Range Ab3 - Eb6 safe 2 octave range C4 - C6

Soprano is pitched an octave higher than Tenor (Ab4 - Eb7)
Safe 2 octave range C5 - C7 but for most players the upper notes are difficult to play in tune for any but the most skilled players and the lower notes lack power.

Baritone (range in concert pitch)
Range C3 - Ab5 (most modern instruments can reach down to C3).
Safe range C3 - C5 (middle C) but best below Bb4.

Johnti's reply is sound advice.

HTH

Reply #12
Is concert pitch when the instruments are played or when they are written?

Reply #13
Concert pitch is the actual note sounded. For example, a B-flat instrument will sound a B-flat where the score shows a C.

Reply #14
if u play the low B flat into your knee you can get out an A or sometimes a really out of tune A flat. On a professional saxophone it can go up to an F# but not on a beginer's. Any note higher than that is an altissimo note and is very hard to play and to get in tune.

Reply #15
I'm an alto sax player myself and was looking around and i was wondering where i ccould find these altissimo fingerings?  It would be very helpful.

Reply #17
Hey all the time i try to get the high G on the alto but it never comes out. Do you have any suggestions?

Reply #18
Take some lessons...

Reply #19
What happened to replies 4, 5, 6 and nine?