Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot Make Step Record Work (Read 9488 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot Make Step Record Work

Hello,

I am a registered user and I am sending this directly as well as posting it to the user forum.

I am a new user of Noteworthy and would like to use step record. I believe that the MIDI hardware and MSW'95 driver software is working correctly since I am able to use record mode (real time) successfully from my MIDI keyboard. However, when I select "MIDI Input Active" and press keys on the MIDI device, nothing happens on the computer screen.

Where should I look for the problem?

Thanks, Mike

Michael A. Radtke - Z74 Voice: 602-862-4897 Bull FAX: 4853 13430 N. Black Canyon Hwy.

Re: Cannot Make Step Record Work

Reply #1
This one caught me out too!

Check the Midi tab in Tools | Options.

Port Usage should be set to WhileActive or Always, so that the Midi Input port is active. My bet is that you've (very thoughtfully) set it to WhilePlaying.

If this doesn't help, you'll need to send more information.

Regards,

Andrew

Reply #2
Andrew,

Thanks for your response.

I wish it were that easy. The port usage _is_ set to always. I have not tried any other setting.

I am on 1.31, not a or b. Is that a problem?

I also tried the 16 and 32 bit versions ... no difference.

I am using a Gallant 8000 sound card. The drivers are MPU401 and MSWindows sound system. Since record works fine, I am most suspicious of Noteworthy rather than other system components. What other information can you use?

Thanks, Mike

Reply #3
Andrew,

The problem is not Noteworthy.

Just in case you have to troubleshoot a similar problem:

1) I found that step (input) worked if another application was using the MPU401 (output).

2) I found that several inputs would be buffered (by?) and would shift out for each output note sent.

3) I found that input/output control sequences had no apparent effect demonstrated in #1 and #2.

4) Abandoning the OEM MPU401 driver in favor of the generic Microsoft MPU401 driver solved the problem.

Thanks for your response.

Mike

Michael A. Radtke - Z74 Voice: 602-862-4897 Bull FAX: 4853 13430 N. Black Canyon Hwy. Phoenix, AZ 85029 Email: m.radtke@bull.com