Skip to main content
Topic: PRINTING Multi Staves (Read 6599 times) previous topic - next topic

PRINTING Multi Staves

When printing a four-part vocal score with piano accompaniment, there are several pages that one part or another are not singing. Is it possible not to print these parts for the appropriate pages but still keep the bars in line, so when the part re-enters on the next pages I do not get bars printed more than once or missed out all together? (If anybody can understand my wierd descriptions!) Try it and see what I mean!

Re: PRINTING Multi Staves

Reply #1
How about printing as normal, and covering up the parts you don't want with white paper? No? ;-)

Okay, the only other solution I can think of is to work it out page by page. ie.

Print page one, working out which bar you are up to.

Delete those bars (keep a complete copy handy somewhere).

Print out page 2, with the appropriate vocal parts excluded.

Delete the page 2 bars.

And so on, adding and removing parts as necessary.

The totally wrong thing with this approach is the supposition that parts are going to stop and start at convenient page boundaries. Chances of that are roughly equivalent to a snowflake's chance in hell, but you MAY BE LUCKY! :-)

I guess you should ask yourself what exactly you are expecting it to look like. You may find it harder to read if parts disappear and reappear. I have a friend who has to highlight his part with a pen as it is, so that he won't lose it!

LAST SOLUTION. When printing parts, I normally print 1 full score (the "conductor's score", though we don't have a conductor) and separate parts for all players. It seems to work well.

There are times, when - for brevity - I will condense parts onto one stave. So that - f'rinstance - the pianist will have their two staves and a third vocal stave above it (gets a bit hard when you're using four vocal parts, though).

Hope some of these ideas will work for you.

Andrew

Re: PRINTING Multi Staves

Reply #2
How about printing as normal, and covering up the parts you don't want with white paper? No? ;-)

Okay, the only other solution I can think of is to work it out page by page. ie.

Print page one, working out which bar you are up to.

Delete those bars (keep a complete copy handy somewhere).

Print out page 2, with the appropriate vocal parts excluded.

Delete the page 2 bars.

And so on, adding and removing parts as necessary.

The totally wrong thing with this approach is the supposition that parts are going to stop and start at convenient page boundaries. Chances of that are roughly equivalent to a snowflake's chance in hell, but you MAY BE LUCKY! :-)

I guess you should ask yourself what exactly you are expecting it to look like. You may find it harder to read if parts disappear and reappear. I have a friend who has to highlight his part with a pen as it is, so that he won't lose it!

LAST SOLUTION. When printing parts, I normally print 1 full score (the "conductor's score", though we don't have a conductor) and separate parts for all players. It seems to work well.

There are times, when - for brevity - I will condense parts onto one stave. So that - f'rinstance - the pianist will have their two staves and a third vocal stave above it (gets a bit hard when you're using four vocal parts, though).

Hope some of these ideas will work for you.

Andrew