Skip to main content
Topic: Running NWC under Linux (Read 4032 times) previous topic - next topic

Running NWC under Linux

Hiall.

Just as a question. How many of you registered users out there use Linux, or would rather use Linux and would be happier to see NWC run under it? I personally find the idea very appealing, as the only use for windows I have is running NWC, the rest of my needs being accomodated by a Linux distribution I have installed on my PC.

S

Re: Running NWC under Linux

Reply #1
I would be happy to re-install Linux/Xwindows if NWC were available for that platform. Unfortunately, I had to give up on Linux because there just aren't enough good music programs available for it yet. What I'd really like to see is a version of Wine that actually works... then we could use the apps with which we're already familiar on a more stable platform.

Reply #2
Fred, you couldn't be far from right. Things are slowly turniung up for Linux, as the user base grows by the day. Admittedly it is not half as user friendly it is portraied to be and the RTFM approach doesn't really help... I am however forced to run a dual; boot box just because the software isn't yet available and wINE is pathetic. Its only fo rmusic that I keep the win partition and nothing else. WHy should I be forced to do that though?

Reply #3
I disagree with your comments about Wine. Whilst it's true that it's slow for bloatware like Word (well what else do you expect - it IS an emulator after all), I find it's fine for the music software I use. I can happily use both NWC and Finale 2000 on Linux when using the latest Wine.

-Nigel

Reply #4
i'll drink to that!

Reply #5
To those that say there isn't much music stuff out there for linux, I say ... have you been here  ... http://linux-sound.org/

I've had a quick browse ... and it looks useful to me.

Reply #6
Thanks, Bruce. I imagine I'll be hanging out there once I get my midi devices working!

Reply #7
Many things have changed unto now, but the address linux-sound.org is still existing! Great!