Skip to main content
Topic: Piano fingering (Read 8090 times) previous topic - next topic

Piano fingering

How can I indicate piano fingering? When I insert finger numbers as text, numbers for several notes struck at once may not line up vertically. When I want to erase only a finger number, the note may disappear.

Re: Piano fingering

Reply #1
Configure STAFF LYRICS for a maximum of (5) lyric lines under each staff where you want to show fingering. Configure for LESS LINES if fewer fingers will be used in a clef. As an example,in the treble clef Line 5 would be thumb, line 4 would be 2d finger, Line 3 would be 3rd finger, Line 2 would be fourth finger, and line 1 would be little finger. In the bass clef it would be the opposite.

Print out your score then MANUALLY put in the finger numbers lined up vertically under the note(s)on the proper line. Not all lines need to be used at your discretion. When you are finished you have essentially written a lyric line of finger numbers(there may be some blank spots).

Enter each lyric lines into the STAFF LYRIC window as you would a lyric word. When you are through entering all the lyric lines (finger numbers) you should have the finger numbers vertically under the selected note(s)for each finger.

If there are lyrics then add another line. If you are using 5 fingers on a staff then the thumb would be line 6 and the lyric would be line one. You should be able to figure out the combinations and the lyric lines needed.

You must be satified with the finger numbers BELOW THE STAFF.

Re: Piano fingering

Reply #2
I appreciate Don Ferguson taking the time for a detailed reply. However, I'm used to seeing the finger numbers quite close to the notes: close above the notes in the treble clef, and close below the notes in the bass clef, except perhaps in the opposite position relative to notes for inner voices and for notes close to the bottom of the treble clef and close to the top of the bass clef.

I think the reason for such positioning is to facilitate taking in both a note or chord and its corresponding fingering in one quick glance at one position on the page. This suggests to me that the program must associate the position of fingering on a staff with the position of the corresponding notes in a manner somewhat analogous to the way, say, accent or staccato marks are handled.

Phil Tompkins