Skip to main content
Topic: Recording Midi files from external instruments (Read 2419 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording Midi files from external instruments

can anyone tell me how to record midis from instruments? what i want to do is play some tabs on an electric guitar and save them as a midi on my computer, but i don't know how to plug it into my computer, and i don't know how to save the midi, thank you for the help, please email me @ duraiden@yahoo.com if you can go into detail on this.

Re: Recording Midi files from external instruments

Reply #1
Your instrument needs a MIDI output. Alot of the electronic keyboards have this but I am unaware of any guitars having a MIDI port.
Curtis S

Reply #2
What you need is a "Guitar Midi-Controller".
Roland make a pickup with a midi interface that connects via midi in.
Another is the Shadow pick up system.
But be prepared to pay - big time.

Reply #3
I have the Roland GI-10 interface for guitar with the digital pickup system for acoustics. It works very well, but, as I stated here in my most recent problem posting, the quantizing during recording is awful. If you play notes at any faster a pace than 1/8 notes at approx 70bpm, your recording will turn to mush and all the notes are piled into what the software perceives as chords. Also, the interface and pickup together are not that expensive (I paid a total of 350 for the pair)