Glissendo ?

Hello

On one violin part, I must scribe a glissendo for G to D7. Is it possible to
write that on NWC ?

Thanks

Peter Din

Re: Glissendo ?

Reply #1
Using multi-point controllers, at least as far as I'm aware, no. They don't go that far down. Sorry.

Reply #2
You have to do it step-wise. Pitch-bend mpc's can go +/- two semitones, for a total of four semitones per step. A good way to do it is to have two staves on different channels, but with the same volume, pan and instrument patch settings. Use short volume fades to overlap the steps. You can do very believable glissandos with as great a total interval as you want (or have the patience for) using this approach.

Reply #3
Yet another very helpful user tip, as presented in teh earlier thread concerning the use of NWC exclusively. I have tried it after seeing the presented example .nwc file, and admittedly it is tiring, but efficient in overcoming the limitations of MIDI. How does one overcome the flange effect that is produced though at the points we both staves play in union?

S

Reply #4
Unfortunately, the flange effect can't be eliminated completely because of the non-zero time between sending two midi events even with the same "midi" time. (It is, after all, a serial protocol). However, it can be minimised somewhat by 1: putting a slight stereo pan difference on the two channels used for shuttling back and forth, but not enough to be distracting, 2: making the volume fade-ins as short as practical (example; if the gliss is happening over a half-note per four-semitone sweep, try an overlap of 1/16 or even 1/32 note for the volume sweep up/down). 3: If possible, use an instrument that does not approximate a pure sound; the "whistle" sound I used to simulate a theremin is probably the worst-case scenario. On more complex sounds (string ensemble, etc.) the flange will not be nearly as noticeable.