Skip to main content
Topic: 10 Instrument Orchestration Layout in Noteworthy?? (Read 3509 times) previous topic - next topic

10 Instrument Orchestration Layout in Noteworthy??

Hi everyone!

I'm doing a project for school which requires me to expand a piano piece into a full orchestration for 10-12 or so instruments (i.e. Piccolo, Flute, Bassoon, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Alto, Tenor, Bari Sax, Trumpet, Horn, Trombone, Tuba)

For this, I need to create a score with all the parts on it. As you all probably know, the "groups" of instruments must be attached together on the score (right after the name of the instrument, i.e. Sax Family is together, etc.)

How do I do this in Noteworthy? If you know what I can do please email me at sprinter@hotmail.com!

Thanks a lot!!
Mike :)

Re: 10 Instrument Orchestration Layout in Noteworthy??

Reply #1
Mike-

Under staff properties (F2) for each staff, select style as orchestral. This will give you bar lines which run from the top part through the bottom, which is standard for band and orchestra scores. To separate the instrument groupings, under staff properties, set the staff vertical sizes (listed as upper and lower) to a larger number between each group. For example, set the lower vertical size for bass clarinet at 15, and the upper vertical size for alto sax at 15 also. This will give you a nice visual separation between the groupings. You should also select showing staff labels for at least the first system under page setup. If you want to add group names to the right of the staff labels, you can do this by using right justified text insertion (available in the 1.70 beta version). However, it can be hard to get the spacing right when doing that. I'd say that the staff lables alone should be sufficient to make a nice score.